Jamaican Family Search Genealogy Research Library





Through the courtesy of the Editors of the Jamaica Hand Book we have been able to publish the obituaries of the most prominent people who have been familiar in the life of the colony, and who have either died in Jamaica or abroad during the past 10 years. We publish them in the order below:-


Broome. Mary Ann, Lady Broome, who died in London on the 6th of March in her 80th year, was a daughter of W. G. Stewart, Colonial Secretary of Jamaica, where she was born. She married in 1852 Captain Barker, R.A., who distinguished himself in the Crimea and the Indian Mutiny and was created a K.C.B. He died in 1860, and in 1865 his widow married Frederick Napier Broome, who entered the Colonial Service ten years later. She accompanied him to South Africa and Mauritius, and in 1883, when he was made a K.C.M.G., to Western Australia, and later to Trinidad. She was the authoress of various books, including "A Year's Housekeeping in South Africa" (1877), "Letters to England" (from Western Australia), and "Stories about" and many other books for children.

Donovan, Justin Foley, M.D., Irishman by birth, was Medical Officer and Health Officer for Killeagh Dispensary. Co. Cork, from 1876 1879. He was surgeon in the Royal Navy from 1879 to 1889, and received the thanks of the Admiralty for zeal and devotion to duty at Port Royal and Malta. In 1889 he entered the medical service of Jamaica and was for years medical attendant at Spanish Town, in charge of the lepers home, the general hospital, and the constabulary depot. From about 1897 he had been Health Officer at Port Royal. He died in a hospital in New York on the 27th of May, in his 64th year, twenty-two of which had spent in Jamaica. To "Catholic Opinion" he contributed in serial form a history of the Roman Catholic Church in Jamaica; and to the "Catholic Encyclopaedia" he contributed articles on Jamaica and Leprosy.

Fogarty, William O'Reilly, who died on the 31st of August in his 58th year, was the son of Daniel Fogarty, a sugar planter of Trelawny, and was at an early age sent to England to be educated at Mount St. Mary College. Returning to Jamaica, he at first tried a planter's life, but soon entered the Civil Service. In 1886 he was appointed assistant clerk to the Mayor and Council of Kingston and succeeded to the clerkship in 1902. He was a prominent member of the Roman Catholic body.

Hart John Hinchley was born in Suffolk, England, in 1847, and after spending some years in Nova Scotia, entered the Civil Service of Jamaica in 1875, where he superintended the formation of the gardens and grounds of King's House. In 1881 he became Superintendent of the Cinchona Plantation, and in 1886 was Acting Director of Public Gardens and Plantations. In 1887 he was appointed Superintendent of the Royal Botanical Gardens and Meteorological Station at Trinidad, which Post he held till he retired on a pension a few years ago, but continued to reside in Port-of-Spain, where he died on the 20th of February. In 1890 he inspected and reported on the Botanical Stations of St. Vincent and Grenada. He studied cacao in various Central American countries and rubber cultivation in Mexico. Amongst his numerous published writings, chiefly on botanical subjects, may be mentioned "A Botanist's Ramble in Central America," "Cacao, a Treatise on the cultivation and curing" (Trinidad, 1892), and "Cacao: a manual on the cultivation and curing," which appeared posthumously in London in 1911.

Lloyd Admiral Rodney Mclaine, C.B., who was born in 1841, entered the Royal Navy in 1854. After serving as a midshipman in the Baltic during the war with Russia and the East against China, in 1860, as a Lieutenant he commanded two gunboats against pirates and was wounded. From 1874 to 1878 he was in the West Indies. For services in Egypt he received the Egyptian medal and the Khedive's bronze-star. He was Commodore at Jamaica from 1889 to 1892. In 1894 he was made a Rear-Admiral and from 1897 to 1900 he was Superintendent of Malta dockyard when he was made a. Vice-Admiral. He was made a full Admiral on the retired list in 1904. He died in May, at Portsmouth, England.

Lumb Sir Charles Frederick, was born at Liverpool. He was called to the Bar in 1874 and practised on the northern circuit. In 1887 he was appointed Second Puisne Judge at Trinidad. In 1892 he became Junior Puisne Judge in Jamaica, where he acted as Chief Justice in 1895-96. He was knighted on retirement in 1909. He died at Folkestone, England, on the 23rd of February.

MacKinnon, Lewis Fullerton, who died at Dulwich, England, on the 17th of August, was born in Jamaica in 1849, the son of the Hon. L. F. MacKinnon, Manager of the Railway. He was educated at the Ayr Academy in Scotland, and on his return to Jamaica, obtained a position in the Bank of Jamaica, which in 1865 was Incorporated in the Colonial Bank. He was accountant to the Government Savings Bank from 1870 to 1879, when, on the railway being taken over by the Government, he succeeded his father as Manager. This post he held till 1890, when the railway was sold to an American syndicate, and he became Managing Commissioner of the Kingston General Commissioners, but shortly afterwards the railway authorities induced him to resume the managership, a post he held till the Government again took over the railway and he went on a pension. During the period of his management many miles of railway were constructed to Port Antonio on the north-east, and Montego Bay on the north-west the island.

Ogilvie, Dr. James, was born at Sterling in Scotland. He was educated at Glasgow where he graduated, he later became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh. He also held the diploma of Doctor of Medicine and Master in Surgery of Bishop's College, Montreal, Canada. He came to Jamaica in 1872, and first, for four years, acted as District Medical Officer for Manchester. In 1876 he removed to Kingston and joined the medical firm of Bowerbank and Anderson. In 1883 he became Health Officer Kingston, but in 1889 he relinquished that position and became Mayor of Kingston, which post he held to his own credit and the benefit of the community for six years. Later he was appointed Commissioner solely responsible for the control of the city affairs, owing to the Mayor and Council having to be dissolved. He was largely instrumental in getting the underground sewerage system adopted for Kingston. In later life he again took on the duties of Health Officer for Kingston, which he only relinquished early in 1911. He died on the 20th October. Dr. Ogilvie was a prominent Free Mason. He took a deep interest in the Jamaica Militia, in which he attained the rank of Surgeon Major.

Rodock, Rev. Father John, S. J., who died in Kingston on the 25th of March, was born at Frederick, Maryland, U.S.A., in 1856. He entered the Society of Jesus in 1874. He was ordained to the priesthood about 1890, and thereafter held positions as teacher, prefect and minister. About ten years ago he came to Jamaica to join the Fathers of the New York and Maryland Province, labouring in the Jamaica mission. He at first laboured in St. Mary and St. Ann, but was later transferred into Kingston, and became Chaplain to the Roman Catholic troops at Up-Park Camp.

Savage, Edward Ashton was born in Bedford, England, in 1851 and educated at Gravesend, and came out to Jamaica when about eighteen years old, and first taught in the old Mico Institution and later worked in the stationery business of his uncle George Henderson. For two years he worked in a music warehouse in London, but then returned to Jamaica and entered the Civil Service, working first in the post office and later in Customs, in which department he rose to be Collector of Customs in Kingston in 1905. This post he held till his retirement, in the year in which he died in April. He was a devoted member of the Congregational Church in North Street, Kingston, and was also organist and choirmaster for many years.

Scotland, Rev. Horace, who died on the 16th of November, in his 81st year, was at the time of his death the oldest clergyman in the Church of England in Jamaica, having been ordained Deacon in 1856. He was for many years Island Curate of Lluidas Vale and Point Hill Churches; and later Rector of Port Royal and of Allman Town, Kingston. He also for some time officiated as Chaplain to the forces at Up-Park Camp.

Gordon, The Rt. Rev. Charles, Bishop of Thyatira and Vicar Apostolic of Jamaica, the, former head of the Roman Catholic Church in Jamaica; was born in Argyleshire, Scotland, about 1831. The Catholic head of the Gordon clan he on the movement for Italian unity which threatened the temporal power of the Pope, relinquished his easy life of a Highland laird, and joined the papal army. After the war was over he studied for the priesthood, joined the Society of Jesus, and laboured in the slums of Glasgow and several smaller Scotch towns. When it was decided to raise the head of the Jamaica mission to the dignity of Bishop, Charles Gordon was selected for the office, and arrived in Jamaica in 1890. For sixteen years he laboured hard. He retired from his bishopric in 1906, and died at Roehampton, London, on the 16th of November.


Downer, Venerable Archdeacon George William, was born in Jamaica on the 1st of October, 1837. He was ordained Deacon in 1860 and Priest in 1861. After working for short periods at Stewart Town and at the Cathedral, he took charge in 1862 as Island Curate of St. Gabriel's Church, Clarendon, where he laboured for ten years. In 1873 he succeeded Archdeacon Campbell as Rector of the Parish Church of Kingston, and at once threw great energy into the work. He restored the Church at a cost of about £7,000. He met the disaster of the earthquake of 1907 with a courage and hopefulness denied to many a younger man. He held the post of Rector of the Parish Church of Kingston for thirty-six years, retiring at the close of 1908. On the re-establishment of the Cathedral Chapter he became Archdeacon of Surrey in 1889. He died on the 21st of March.

Hirst George S. S., was born in India in 1872. He was Assistant Colonial Surgeon of the Gold Coast from 1896 to 1899, and Assistant Commissioner and Government Medical Officer at Salt Cay in the Turks Islands in 1905-7. From 1907 till his death he was Commissioner of the Cayman Islands. He published a "Handbook of the Cayman Islands for 1908" and "Notes on the History of the Cayman Islands" in 1909-12. He died at Grand Cayman on the 8th of June.

Johnson, Amy Charlotte , was born on the 20th May, 1861, in London. After a short experience in teaching in England she came out to Jamaica in 1885, as Lady Principal of the newly established Training College for Women Teachers at Shortwood. Owing to ill-health she was forced to resign in 1897. Returning to England she died at Weston-super-Mare on the 22nd of May.

Levy Arthur, the son of Joseph Levy of Mandeville, was born in 1843. He studied for the law and was admitted to practise in 1862. His legal career was connected with Mandeville, he having had as partners Mr. J. T. Palache, the late R. A. Walcott, and latterly Mr. W. H. Coke. In 1874 Mr. Levy was made an Advocate, and lived to be the last holder of that title. At one time he acted as Judge of the then existing District Courts of Jamaica. For many years he represented Manchester in the Legislative Council. He died at Mandeville on the 7th of September.

Mosse Deputy Surgeon-General Charles Benjamin, C.B., C.M.G., entered the Army Medical Service and served in the expeditionary force up the River Gambia in 1866, being present at the capture of Tubarcolong. In 1867 he was promoted Staff Surgeon for valuable services during an epidemic of yellow fever at Bathurst. He served through the Ashanti War of 1873-4. On retiring from a distinguished military career, he entered on what was destined to be a lengthy and honourable term of civil service, as Superintending Medical Officer of Jamaica. He held that post with a short break, from 1876 to 1904 when he finally retired. He was for a time a member of the Privy Council of Jamaica, and a member of the Legislative Council of Jamaica. He was a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons, England; and the Royal College of Physicians, Ireland, and a prominent Free Mason. He died in Guernsey on the 4th of July, aged 82 years, and was buried at St. Leonards.

Randall, Rev. Caleb Edward, who was born at Tewkesbury, England, on the 5th of November, 1839, came to Jamaica in 1858, to commence a commercial career, but at the same time was preparing for the ministry. In 1863 he was ordained and took charge of three Baptist Churches in Westmoreland and Hanover. For twelve years he held an appointment as one of the Government Inspectors of Schools. In 1886 he came up to Kingston to the position of Superintendent of the mission work in Jamaica, conducted by the Christian Women's Board of Missions, of Indianapolis, U.S.A. After fourteen years of Superintendence he became Chairman of the Executive Committee which post he held till he retired from active work of the ministry in 1908. For thirteen years he was Pastor of the Duke Street Christian Church. The earthquake of 1907 by reason of causing domestic bereavement as well as personal shock told on Mr. Randall's aged frame. He never recovered and his health continued to fail until the end came on the 16th of February.

Sant William Eloin , who was born at Fulham, Middlesex, on the 26th September, 1851, came to Jamaica in 1875 for the benefit of his health. He worked for some years in the Government Service, but in 1893 entered into partnership with Messrs. Wortley & Mais, civil engineers and contractors, Mr. Wortley shortly after leaving the firm. The firm designed and erected many prominent buildings, especially Churches of the Church of England throughout the island. Never of robust health the strain thrown on him by the earthquake, compelled him to retire from business and return to England in 1909; but the change did him little good; he came again to Jamaica and after much suffering died on the 19th of September, 1912. A staunch churchman, he was for many years a prominent member of the Diocesan Council of the Church of England in Jamaica, and Churchwarden of the Parish Church of St. Andrew. At one time he was on staff of the Government Railway and for a short period acted as Director.


Ellis the Hon. Evelyn Henry, the fifth son of the 6th Lord Howard de Walden, was born in 1843. He served some years in the Royal Navy, and then travelled in Australia, Persia and elsewhere. He was for many years, till he sold his properties, Shettlewood and Montpelier, the last of his family to own property in Jamaica, where he frequently spent the winter months. He experimented in tobacco growing and cigar making, and in the preparation of prepared bananas, and he imported valuable specimens of Zebu cattle from India and thereby improved the cattle of Jamaica generally. He died on the 5th of September at Plymouth, England.

McCrea, John Harry, who was born England, came out to Jamaica as young man and started cinchona planting in the Blue Mountains. He entered the Police Force as a Subinspector in 1887 and served successively in Kingston, St. Elizabeth, St. Mary, Clarendon and Kingston, to which parish he returned when he became Deputy Inspector General. He died suddenly on the 3rd of May. He was the author of "The Jamaica Constabulary List" published in 1897, and the useful "Sub-Officers' Guide" which first appeared in 1900.

MacGregor, the Rev. Charles George, was born at Louisborough in St. Mary, in 1848. He was ordained a Deacon of the Church of England in 1871, and Priest in the following year. He served in several cures in the Island; Petersfield in Westmoreland (1871-6), St. Mary's in the Santa Cruz Mountains (1876-8), at "Trinity" in Montego Bay (1878-84) where he started, as headmaster, a secondary day school which turned out many useful men. Thence went to Chichester (1884), and then to Montpelier, (1886) where he was Rector for twenty years, when (in 1906) he went to Falmouth. He died on the 22nd of September in a hospital in New York, resulting on an operation.

Stephenson, Thomas Burchell, was born in 1845. The son of a Deacon in the Baptist Church, he early took a deep interest in that Church's welfare. He first became teacher at SavannalaMar, and on his removal to Kingston, at the East Queen Street Baptist Church in 1887, and soon afterwards became treasurer, and choir-master. For forty-six years he was principal teacher of some elementary school or other-first in St. Elizabeth and Westmoreland and later at the Model School at Calabar College. He died in Kingston on July 1st.

Willoughy, Percival Robert Augustus, M.I.C.E., was born at Bristol in May, 1868, and was educated at the Merchant Taylors School and University College, London. After holding several important engineering appointments in Wales and India, he was in 1909 appointed Director of Public Works in Jamaica, where on his arrival he found much to be done in the rebuilding of Kingston as the result of the earthquake. A most zealous and efficient officer, the constant strain of his official duties told on a constitution that had been impaired by residence in India, and the leave he took came too late; he succumbed to a severe operation, and died at Llandilo on the 2nd May.

Ward Colonel Charles James, C.M.G., who was born in Kingston in 1837, inherited the business of wine and liquor merchants in Kingston, Wray & Nephew (of which he was the nephew) and in 1864 assumed full management of it, and by industry amassed a large fortune, which during life he at times freely spent in the cause of his native land and especially of the city of Kingston. His philanthropic acts both private and public were numerous. He was interested in sugar planting and owned several estates, and there were few public companies to which he did not belong. For four years from 1889 he was member of the Legislative Council for Kingston and St. Andrew and later a nominated member. He was for many years (1889-1913) Custos of Kingston, and also Chairman of the Kingston General Commissioners. He was also a member of the Privy Council. He was for six years a keen member of the Volunteer Militia, of which he was made Colonel, at the time of its formation in 1885. He presented in 1912 to the city of Kingston the fully equipped Ward Theatre. He also gave liberally to the Roman Catholic Church to which he belonged. He died in Kingston on December 8th, having but recently resigned from many of the offices he held. (A character sketch of Colonel Ward appears on the first page of these obituaries.

Schooles, Sir Henry Pipon , who was born in 1850, was called to the bar in 1873, and practised in the Leeward Islands where in 1876 he became Attorney-General. In 1880 he was pointed Attorney-General for British Honduras, where he acted as Chief Justice from June, 1881, to February 1882. In 1883 he was appointed Attorney-General of Grenada, where he twice acted as Administrator in 1887 and 1894. In 1894-5 he acted as Chief Justice and a year later became Attorney-General of Jamaica, where he remained, once acting as Chief Justice, until his appointment as Chief Justice of Gibraltar in 1905, when he was knighted. He died suddenly at Gibraltar on December 18.


Cox, Herbert Edward, was born in London on the 18th of January, 1838. He came from Mexico to Jamaica as a tourist in 1892, and having seen tea plantations in India, Ceylon and Japan, and being struck with the suitability of the island for tea cultivation, he returned in 1894 and started as a tea planter at Ramble in St. Ann. The venture proved a commercial success. He was upwards of sixteen years Custos of St. Ann, resigning on account of ill-health in 1913. He died at Ramble on the 10th of December.

Farquharson, James Miller, the eldest son of James Miller Farquharson, a former Custos and member of the Council for St. Elizabeth, was born at Brampton Bryan in Trelawny on the 2nd of July, 1854. He was educated in England and Germany. He joined the Parochial Board of St. Elizabeth in 1899, was made Vice-Chairman in 1900, and Chairman in 1902. He was elected member of the Legislative Council for the parish in 1909, and was appointed Custos in 1910. He died on November 30th, at his estate, Appleton.

Grinan, Juan, who was born in Cuba, settled as a sugar planter in Jamaica about 1870 and acquired Albion, in St. Thomas, and Sevens, Parnassus and Sandy Gully Estates in Clarendon. He did much for the sugar industry in the colony, being the first planter in Jamaica to manufacture white sugar which could be consumed without further refining. In later life he lived in New York where he died on the 15th of December.

Judah George Fortunatus, was born at Spanish Town on the 4th of January, 1834. During his long years of research at the Record Office he acquired a knowledge of matters connected with Jamaica history and genealogy second to none, and his experience was always at the disposal of fellow students. He was a frequent contributor to local newspapers on matters of historic interest--under thinly veiled noms-de-guerre --"Old St. Jago," "J.," "G. F. J." and the like. His pen, though trenchant, was ever courteous and free from personal feeling. In 1896 he published in pamphlet form a record of "Old Saint Jago" and in 1906, Rock Fort, Fort Castile, Fort Nugent, Jamaica. Their history and traditions." He contributed to the "Caribbeana" from time to time. He was a corresponding, member of the Institute of Jamaica and rendered valuable assistance to its work of historic research. He was an honorary member of the American Jewish Historical Society and in 1909 he contributed to its publication "The Jew's Tribute in Jamaica. Extracted from journals of the House of Assembly of Jamaica." He was also a member of the New York Historical and Genealogical Society, and the Virginia Historical Society, and frequently corresponded with historians in those States. He died on the 31st of December.

Love Joseph Robert, was born in Nassau, Bahamas, on the 2nd of October, 1839. He studied for the University and was ordained Priest in the United States by Bishop Coke of Buffalo where he was Rector of a Church. Whilst still in orders he studied medicine and took the M.D. degree at the University of Buffalo. He spent ten years in Hayti as an army doctor. Coming to Jamaica in 1889 he started the "Jamaica Advocate" and soon made a name for himself as a fearless journalist and public speaker, striving especially for the betterment of the negro race, to which he belonged. He at times filled the post of member for the Mayor and Council of Kingston, member of St. Andrew of the Legislative Council from 1906, member and Chairman of the St. Andrew's Parochial Board, and member of the Kingston General Commissioners, and of Wolmer's Trustees. He was also a Justice of the Peace. He published two works "Romanism is not Christianity" and in 1897 "St. Peter's true position in the Church, clearly traced in the Bible." He died on the 21st of November, after some years of impaired vigour.

Parker, Walter Benjamin , who was born in the parish of Manchester in 1877, commenced his career as a journalist on "Gall's News Letter" and became sub-editor of the "Daily Telegraph" when that paper was founded. He joined the "Gleaner" staff and rose to be News Editor. He was later on the editorial staff of the ill-fated "Telegraph and Guardian." He became Editor and Manager of "The Daily Chronicle" on its formation, but died in Kingston on 1st of September, from overwork at the early age of thirty-seven. As a News Editor he had no equal in Jamaica.

Richmond, James, C.M.G., M.I.C.E. who was born at Glenhead, Loch Winnock, Renfrewshire, Scotland, came out to Jamaica in early life to join in Spanish Town an uncle who was a contractor to the railway. He then secured a position in the Public Works Department and in 1874 became engineer to the Rio Cobre Irrigation Works. In 1890 he was made Assistant Director of Public Works, and in 1900 Director of the Railway then taken over by the Government. To the reorganizing of the railway he devoted his whole powers and converted a non-profitable into a paying concern; towards the close of his career the Upper Clarendon branch was near completed. He retired from the Public Service in 1913 and, his life dedicated to Jamaica, ended after a painful illness in London on March 20th of the following year. He was created a C.M.G. in 1906 and in 1909 a member of the Privy Council.

Shirley, Leicester Colville, was born in England in 1830. He read for the Bar and practised as a barrister. He came to Jamaica in 1862 and succeeded to the family estates in Trelawny on the death of a brother. From 1885 he acted as Chairman of the Parochial Board; and he was the revered Custos of Trelawny from 1910 till 1913 when he resigned on account of failing health. He died at Friendship on the 21st of October.


Andrews, Edward Jordan , I.S.O., who was born on the 10th of February, 1849, entered the Public Service in the Audit Office in 1868. In 1884 he was transferred to the Treasury, and in 1899 he was made a Stamp Commissioner. In 1900 he became Acting Treasurer, and he was confirmed in the appointment in 1904. He retired from the Public Service in 1913. He died in Kingston on the 11th of November. He was a Justice of the Peace, Chairman of the Victoria Mutual Building Society, and Senior Pastmaster of the Kingston Lodge of Masons.

Baker Rev. Charles Herbert, J.P., who was born at Atherstone, Warwickshire, England, on the 24th of June 1862, was educated for the ministry at Spring Hill College, Birmingham. He came to Jamaica in 1897 and took charge of the Congregational Churches of Brixton Hill, Four Paths, Rock and Stewarton, in Clarendon, of which parish he was for some years a member of the Parochial Board and for several years its Chairman. He died at Brixton Hill on the 19th of September being then president of the Congregational Union in Jamaica.

Berry Rev. Carey Bale, came to Jamaica and became connected with the Independent Baptist Church and laboured in Upper Saint Andrew. He represented the parish in the Legislative Council for some years and was popularly own as "the People's Watchdog." On one occasion the Parochial Board of St. Andrew was dissolved and Mr. Berry carried on the work of the parish as Commissioner to the satisfaction of all concerned. He died at Mount Charles on May 31st.

Burton, Charles Theophilus, who was born in Kingston on the 23rd of October, 1843, was educated at Wolmer's School, and became a watch-maker, was for a period of seventeen years a member of the Mayor and Council of Kingston (1885-1902), during which time he was more than once Vice-Chairman. He later became in 1902 Assistant Clerk to the City Council and Secretary to Wolmer's Trustees. He died on the 18th of January. He was a prominent Free Mason.

Clark John Powell was born at Thornbury near Bristol, England, on the 29th of June, 1840. He was educated in Jamaica and made for himself a successful commercial career. He represented Manchester in the Legislative Council for several years and for the last thirty-four years of his life he was Custos of that parish, and a prominent member of the Parochial Board. For a series of years the shows held at his residence, Kendal, were a feature in the Agricultural life of the colony. He did much to encourage the citrus industry of Manchester and the island in general. He died at Kendal on the 28th of January.

Davis the Venerable Archdeacon Charles Henderson, was born in Kingston in September, 1846. He was educated at St George's College, Kingston. He was ordained Deacon in 1870 and Priest the next year. He was Curate at Golden Grove (1870) Rector of Green Island (1871-81), of Lucea (till 1895) and of Savanna-la-Mar until his death. He became an Associate of King's College, London, in 1886, and was made an Honorary Fellow in 1913. He was made Archdeacon of Cornwall in 1899. He died at SavannalaMar on the 10th of January. He was an ardent Free Mason.

Davy Sir James Stewart , K.C.B., who was born in Manchester, Jamaica, in 1848 was educated at Uppingham and Balliol College, Oxford. He was called to the Bar in England and entered on the Poor Law Service. In 1876 he became Assistant General Inspector and two years later General Inspector for Yorkshire, and in 1905 Chief Inspector. He was made a C.B. in 1902 and a K.C.B. nine years later. He died on the 16th of November at Pyrford, Surrey, England. His sister is widow of James Richmond, who died in 1914, formerly Director of the Jamaica Railway.

Griffith, Rev. William, who was born in Yorkshire, came to Jamaica and laboured for over half a century in connection with the United Methodist Church, and for many years was General Superintendent of the United Methodist Free Churches in Jamaica. He was for a long period minister of the Church in East Street, Kingston, and was latterly in charge of the Church at Ewarton. He was for many years a Director of the Mico College. He was also for a time a member of the Municipal Board of Kingston. He died at Kingston on the 29th of March, at the age of 86.

Lake Alexander Louis Plunkett, who was born on the 19th of August, 1863, came of a family which had given several members to the law. He was articled to Eugene Morais, and soon gave evidence of ability as a criminal lawyer. In 1889 he was admitted a solicitor and soon rose high in his profession. In 1894 he defended the soldiers of the West India Regiment charged with rioting. He died on the 28th of January. He was a Past Master of a Masonic Lodge.

Leon Emanuel Xavier, born in Kingston in 1842. He started life as a mercantile clerk and subsequently became wharfinger to the Hon. Geo. Solomon. Later on he decided to launch out on his own account and became a provision and grain merchant. As years went by, his success in business became manifest, and he demonstrated to the commercial community that he was destined to play an important part in the life of the parish in which he was born and reared. He was one of the founders of the Jamaica Telephone Co. He was great friend of the late Captain Lorenzo Dow Baker and the latter had often spoken of the sound and honest advice he received from him. In his days he was one of the foremost politicians. After the earthquake he was appointed a member of the Relief Committee, which was inaugurated to alleviate the sufferings existing in the community. He was a leading Mason of his day and was a Past District Grand Master of Mark Masons. He led in St. Andrew on the 31st December, 1915.

Lewis, James Daly , who was born in Kingston on the 4th of July, 1836 was educated at Walton School, in St. Ann, and after serving his articles Harrison and Lewis began practising as a solicitor in 1861, and rose to be the doyen of the profession. He died at his pen residence, Brumalia, Mandeville, where he had resided since 1870, on the 19th of May.

Lockett, Rev. George, who was born in Cheshire, England, on the 11th of February, 1838, entered the service of the Missionary Committee of the Wesleyan Church in 1861 and travelled for nine years in the Demerara, Barbados and St. Vincent Districts. Then for forty years he was stationed in Jamaica where he rendered valued service. For a long period of this time he lived in the Red Hills, north of Kingston. He died at Belvedere, in the Red Hills, on the 17th of November in his 77th year.

Lucie-Smith, John Barkly, the son of Sir John Lucie-Smith, Chief Justice of Jamaica, was born in Georgetown, Demerara (where his father was Attorney-General of British Guiana) on the 23rd June, 1852. He was educated in England and entered the Public Service of Jamaica in 1872, working for many years in the Colonial Secretary's Office, till he was promoted to be Postmaster for Jamaica. He held that post until he retired shortly before his death which occurred on the 3rd of May at Halfway Tree. He was for many years connected with the Artillery Militia of which he was Major. He commanded the Militia Contingent which represented Jamaica at the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897.

Mann, Major-General James Robert, joined the Royal Engineers in 1840 and retired in 1873. He was for a time Surveyor-General of Mauritius. In 1866 he became Director of Public Works and a member of the Legislative Council of Jamaica and held the position until 1886, during which period he was instrumental in the furtherance of many works of public utility. In 1877 on the death of Rushworth, the Lieutenant-Governor, on August 10th, he administered the Government until the arrival of Sir Anthony Musgrave on August 24th. He died at Tilehurst, England, in April in his 93rd year.

Nash, Mrs. Francella, the daughter of James Swaby, was born in the parish of Manchester in 1822. She was educated in England and for many years kept a Girls and Preparatory School first in Mandeville, afterwards in Kingston. She was an exhibitor in the Jamaica Section of the Great Exhibition in London in 1851, sending a collection of native made articles. She died at Mandeville on the 13th of September in her 94th year.

Northcote, Sir Ernest A., LL.B., who was educated at Westminster School (of which he was late in life a member of the governing body) and Trinity College, Cambridge, was called to the Bar in 1875. He was appointed Stipendiary Magistrate in British Guiana in 1882, and in 1886 became Puisne Judge in Jamaica, where he frequently acted as Chief Justice until 1903, when he was appointed Chief Justice of Trinidad and Tobago. He was knighted in 1905 and retired from the Public Service in 1908, and died in London on May 13th. He married in 1895 a daughter of Dr. Izett Anderson, who survives him.

Parsons, Edmund , who was born near Georgetown, Grand Cayman, the 18th of June, 1850, devoted his life to his native island, a dependency of Jamaica. While still a young man he was made a Justice of the Peace; and for ten years from 1888 to 1898, he held the post of Custos of the Dependency, involving the judgeship of the Supreme Court. He subsequently became a successful Law Agent in addition his career of merchant ship owner. He died at Grand Cayman on the 21st of May.

Saunders, Arthur Rich, was born about 1848 in Pembrokeshire, South Wales. He was educated in England and studied medicine at University Hospital. About 1872 he came to Jamaica and joined the staff of the General Hospital in Kingston. After practising as a District Medical Officer at Port Maria, he joined Dr. Phillippo in Kingston where he practised till he retired in 1908. He retired from practice in 1907 and went to England. He died at Dover on January 28th.

Stewart, J. Alexander , who was born on the 13th of December, 1873, was educated at Calabar School and Calabar College. In 1893 he became Elementary School Teacher at Santa Cruz, and subsequently taught at Porus, Petersfleld, Brown's Town, Mount Carey, Annotto Bay, and lastly from 1910, at Chetolah Park, Kingston. He died on the 21st of August.

Vickers, Edward , who was educated at Emanuel College, Cambridge, graduated B.A., in 1864, studied for the Bar and was called to the Inner Temple in 1868. In that year he went to Bombay and practised as an Advocate there for some years. In 1888 he was appointed a Resident Magistrate in Jamaica, first for Manchester, afterwards for Kingston. After acting frequently as a Puisne Judge, he was appointed to the position of Junior Puisne Judge in 1904. He was for many years a supporter of the Parish Church, Kingston. He retired in 1908 from the Public Service and settled in England. He died at Sutton, on September 2nd, aged 72 years.

Whiting, Conway, who was born in Cornwall, England, came in early life to Jamaica and settled in Trelawny. He was for a time a member of the Parochial Board, and member for the parish in the Legislative Council, where he advocated the making of roads in order to open up the parish. He died at Falmouth on the 27th of August in the seventy-first year of his age.

Wise Sister Isabel was born in Ulster, Ireland, on the 2nd of February, 1856. When still young she entered the Mildmay Deaconess Institution in the north of London, where she worked for many years; and she also did Mildmay work in Northampton and the north of England, where, however, the rigour of the winter was too much for her strength. She came to Jamaica in 1890 in connection with the newly founded Deaconess Home in Kingston, where she worked enthusiastically until she was compelled to resign through ill-health in 1901, from which date she carried on mission work of a less arduous if no less exacting a character, of which the Mission Church of St. Patrick at Rockfort is a lasting memorial. Sister Isabel went for a trip to England in the spring of 1915 and fell a victim to German treachery while on board the s.s. "Lusitania" on the 7th of May.


Binns Samuel. The death took place in lower St. Andrew on Christmas night of Samuel Binns late Collector of Taxes for Hanover, who died at an advanced age. Born at Montego Bay 70 years ago, Mr. Binns entered the Government Service in which he had been for thirty years, rising from the various stages to the responsible position of Collector of Taxes, from which he retired on his well earned pension in 1909. He last held office in Hanover. Previous to this he was stationed at Half-way Tree in St. Andrew.

Braithwaite, Rev. Samuel Richard, born in Grenada in 1864. He came a very highly respected family who handed down a goodly heritage to the present generation. He entered the Presbyterian Divinity Hall, 82 Duke Street, then under the late Dr. Robb, in 1886. He received license to preach the gospel by the Eastern Presbytery, and received a unanimous call from the St. John's congregation. A firm believer in the education of the masses, he laboured hard and successfully in establishing elementary schools. He erected one at St. John's, Hannah Town and another at Admiral Pen., which met the needs of the poorer children of those districts. He also opened the Passmore Town Mission which is now connected with the Church. When the earthquake of 1907 destroyed the building erected by Dr. Robb, despite failing health he resolved and rebuilt the present St. John's Kirk, which remains as a monument to his zeal and determination. He retired from his city charge about six years ago to labour at Salem. He died on the 29th August.

Castle, C. W. M. , M.R.C.S. England, L.S.A. He entered the Public Service on the 1st June, 1887, having been appointed first as D.M.O. of the eastern district of St. Thomas and subsequently D.M.O. at Gordon Town. On the appointment of Senior Medical Officer for the Public Hospital becoming vacant through the promotion of Dr. Strachan to Lagos, the then Superintending Medical Officer the late Hon. Dr. C. B. Mosse, recommended Dr. Castle for the appointment, and he was chosen as Dr. Strachan's successor. Towards the end of 1915, Dr. Castle proceeded to England and volunteered for service at the front. He was selected for home service, and when he was heard from some time after, he was examining recruits at Stratford-on-Avon. He was kept very busy in this task and. while he was on a short visit to London he collapsed. He was a Justice of the Peace for Kingston and was a keen sportsman. He died in London in July, 1916.

Corinaldi, Horatio H. Born Jamaica in 1865, he was at one time a prominent merchant of this city. He subsequently went to the United States where he settled down, and died there on the 20th of April.

DeLeon, Joseph. The death took place at Newport, Manchester, on the 8th of December, 1916, of Joseph De Leon, a Justice of the Peace for the parish of Manchester. The deceased was a well-known merchant, carrying on business at Newport for a number of years.

DeLisser, Stanley , born in Jamaica in 1871. Son of the late Andrew DeLisser of this city. He started life in the grocery business along with his father and soon made a namr for himself. Then he launched out on his own account and afterwards went to the republic of Equador where he ran the Commissary Department. After spending about a year there he returned to Jamaica and was pointed President of the Jamaica Tobacco Co. He was largely instrumental in the building up of that concern, but owing to ill-health had to resign his post. He died on Saturday, the 15th April at the Hotel Traymore, Atlantic City, U.S.A.

Desnoes, Rev. William, S.J.. Son of late Peter B. Desnoes. Born in 1880. He received an early education at the St. George's College. For a year or two he was a tutor at the College and he left Jamaica on the 20th December, 1899 for the Jesuit Novitiate at Poughkeepsie, St. Andrew-on-the-Hudson. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1915, at Woodstock College, Woodstock, by Cardinal Gibbons. He died in the United States on the 27th March.

Farrar, the Right Rev. Walter. The death took place in England on the 7th December, 1916, of the Right Rev. Walter Farrar, late Bishop of British Honduras, and who at other periods of his career was associated with various other Dioceses of the British West Indies, notably as Warden of the Theological College of Jamaica, and Bishop of Antigua.

Forwood, Wellington Peploe. Born Liverpool, England in 1850. He came from a distinguished family, but from early youth was fond of the sea and went out to India when a boy. He soon rose to the profession of his choice and obtained his certificate as a master mariner. He came to Jamaica as Master of the Atlas Line steamer "Alps" many years ago and afterwards on the "Alvina" of same line. After sailing the seas for some time he took up a shore appointment here with the agents of Atlas Line, Messrs. McDonald, Hankey and Co. On the outbreak of war he severed his connection with the Company and took up the appointment of Naval Agent. He was a Justice of the Peace for Kingston, and for many years member of the Marine Board. He died in Kingston on the 4th of December.

Gardner, Aston W.; born in 1854. Son of the late Rev. William Gardner, a former pastor of the North Street Congregational Church. He was one of the prime movers who shipped oranges, grapefruit, etc., from this island to England. Not only did Mr. Gardner specialise in the exportation of fruit, but he was a real art collector and carried on a stationery and printing establishment in this city. He was appointed a member of the Kingston General Commissioners in 1908, and resigned in 1912. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace. He died in Kingston on the 20th April.

Grant, A. C., Senior Solicitor of the parish of St. James, died on the 27th December, 1916. The deceased gentleman was very much respected in the community and became a solicitor in 1881. Touching references were made to his demise at the opening of the R.M. Court at Montego Bay on the 29th December, 1916.

Guy, Robert Cunningham, Journalist, was born in Scotland some fifty years ago. He was known throughout the Island, in which he spent fully twenty-five years of his life, as a very able Journalist. He was a fluent and fearless writer and for the lengthened period that he filled the editorial chairs of various newspapers, including the Gleaner, he dealt, with a powerful pen, with every leading question of the day. He was a charming conversationalist, and a cultured gentleman in every sense of the word. Mr. Guy came out to Jamaica from Scotland about 26 years ago, as a Minister of the Scotch Church in Kingston. After some years he retired from the active work of the ministry, and took a position as a master in the Kingston Grammar School. Afterwards, he turned to journalism and edited the "Jamaica Post" for some time. Then he founded the ''Daily Telegraph" which was, after about eleven years of existence, merged into the "Telegraph and Guardian", Mr. Guy also having been responsible for the advent of the "Guardian" about two or three years previously. Later on Mr. Guy became Editor of the "Gleaner", and subsequently occupied a similar position at the "Chronicle" for almost a year. He returned to Scotland in May, 1915, and some months ago his health broke down--his long stay in the tropics had unfitted him for the rigours of the Scottish clime. He died in a Glasgow Nursing Home on the 18th May, 1916.

Holmes, Thomas, a leading druggist of Manchester, died in Mandeville on the 3rd January.

Liddell, Colin, I.S.O., late Surveyor General. He entered the Public Service on the 1st May, 1881 and was appointed Surveyor General on the 1st July, 1894. He was made a member of the Imperial Service Order for valuable services rendered to this colony. He died in October, 1916.

MacDermot, Mrs. Mary Windsor, widow of the late Rev. H. C. P. MacDermot, Island Curate, and mother of T. H. MacDermot, died on the 15th January.

Mitchell, Archibald, the well-known ships' surveyor of this city died in Kingston at his residence on the 28th of November, 1916. Mr. Mitchell, who was well advanced in years began life as a shipwright, and afterwards became a Surveyor for the Marine Board, for Lloyds Agent, and for the Jamaica Marine Insurance. His vast experience in shipping matters made him a most reliable surveyor, and whenever there was a survey of any importance anywhere in the island, his services would be requisitioned. A few years ago the work be to tell on Mr. Mitchell, with his advancing years, and he gave up some of his positions of surveyor. Since the last hurricane he was out on surveys along with Mr. A. A. McInnes, and journeyed by motor car to Rio Nuevo to survey the Titania. The journey told upon his failing health, and on, return to the city he had to consult his medical advisers. A short after that he had to take to his bed, and as stated above the end came on the 28th of November.

McCulloch, Frank A., for many years he was accountant of the firm of Messrs. George Eustace Burke & Bro., and on the death of the surviving partner, Mr. T. Milo Burke, he became one of the managers of the firm. He was an ardent Mason. He died on Saturday the 2nd December, 1916.

Nathan, Sir Nathaniel, son of Jonah Nathan, of Kensington, London, was called to the Bar at the Inner Temple in 1866 and join the Midland Circuit. In 1888 he was appointed Resident Magistrate in Jamaica, and acted first in St. Thomas-in-the-East, and afterwards in Kingston, and in 1891-2 he acted as Puisne Judge in the Supreme Court. In 1893 he became Judge of the Supreme Court of Trinidad, and from 1893 to 1903 when he retired; he was Attorney-General, acting as Chief Justice in 1901. He was knighted in 1903. He died in London in February, 1916.

Phillips, Joseph; born in 1840. Son of the late Hon. George L. Phillips, Custos of St. James. Entered business at an early age in conjunction his father and then subsequently joined his brother in partnership, the firm trading as George Phillips & Bro. He afterwards opened his own business and took into partnership Mr. F. O. Abrahams, his son-in-law. In later years Mr. Phillips gave up business and was accountant of the firm of Messrs. Lascelles deMercado & Co., up to the time of his death. He was auditor at one time or other, of some of the most important companies in the island, and was in the front rank of his profession. He died on the 2nd of September, 1916.

Polson, John M., born in 1840. Was Secretary for a number of years of the now defunct Kingston Benefit Building Society. Previously he served as a clerk with the late Mr. Thomas Oughton of the firm of Oughton, Garcia and Ogilvie. A staunch Wesleyan. he was identified with the work of that denomination. He died on Tuesday the 12th September, 1916.

Powell, Ferdinand Charles Hungerford, L.S.A., London. Born in St. Elizabeth in 1881. He got his early education at Potsdam School. He won the Jamaica Scholarship in 1900 and went to King's College, London. He returned to Jamaica about 1907 and was appointed Acting D.M.O. for Linstead, also Morant Bay, but subsequently went into private practice at Port Maria. He was also D.M.O. for Manchioneal but resigned and opened offices in East Parade, Kingston. He died at the Public Hospital, Kingston on the 19th April.

Rattigan, Luke Alexander, late Collector of Taxes for Kingston. He entered the Public Service in October, 1870 and rose to the position of Collector of Taxes for Kingston, which position he resigned on the 1st of April, 1909. He was connected with several movements for the development of St. Ann, where he took up his abode latterly, the latest among them being the erection of a hospital at Moneague. He died in Kingston on Tuesday the 12th December.

Smeeton, Samuel Page, I.S.O. Born in South Lincolnshire, England, in 1842. He was educated privately. He came to Jamaica and was appointed clerk in the Colonial Secretary's Office in 1862. He was appointed first-class clerk in 1870 and was promoted to the post of Registrar General in 1878, and Deputy-Keeper of Records in 1899. He conducted and reported the Jamaica census in 1881 and 1891 and was appointed a member of Marriage and Registration Commission in 1903. He was a Captain in the Jamaica Militia, and a Justice of the Peace. He married twice, his first wife being Miss Emma Moore, who died in 1888, and his second wife, Miss Jean Henderson of Kingston, Ontario, whom he married in 1899. He was created member of the Imperial Service Order in 1903. He went to Canada 1908, lived in Wetaskiwan in the early months of 1908 and in Edmonton up to the time of his death which occurred on the 19th July, 1916.

Swaby The death took place at Bishop's Court, Barbados, on the 16th November, 1916, of the Right Rev. William Proctor Swaby, D.D., Bishop of Barbados and the Windward Islands and Archbishop of the West Indies. Dr. Swaby was born in 1844; he was Vicar of Castletown, Durham, 1874 to 1884; St. Mark, Millfield, Durham, 1884 to 1893; Bishop of Guiana, 1893 to 1900; and was Bishop of Barbados and the Windward Islands since 1900. He was recently appointed Archbishop of the West Indies in succession to the late Archbishop Nuttall, D.D., having been selected by the other Bishops of the Province.


Sloley, The Rev. W. H., late Wesleyan Superintendent of the Spanish Town Circuit, Jamaica, died in Dr. Pilcher's Sanatorium, Brooklyn, U.S.A., on Friday, January 26th, 1917.


Duff, Rev. John, died at his residence, "Dorrien Lodge," Arnold Road on the 14th February, 1917. The deceased clergyman who was in his 76th year, had laboured long, faithful, a well in the denomination to which he belonged and held honour and respect not only of his fellow-ministers of the Wesleyan Church, but of all who knew him. He laboures in many of the Wesleyan Churches throughout Jamaica, and after a lengthened service, had been for some years past a supernumerary on the list of ministers. At the time of his death he was attached to Wesley Church, of Kingston, and preached there up to the Sunday before his death.

Melville, Rev. Canon Charles, of the Anglican Church died at his residence "The Hut," Malvern, on the 23rd February, 1917 from a stroke of paralysis. The deceased clergyman was the son of the late Dr. Melville and was a nephew of the late Mr. James C. Melville of Gayle Estate in St. Mary, and of the late Rev. H. P. C. Melville. Canon Melville was Rural Dean and Chairman of the Parochial Council for St. Elizabeth and at the time of his death was in charge of St. Alban's Church in the Santa Cruz Mountains and Gilnock Church on the Plains of St. Elizabeth.


Sister Mary Fidelis died at the Convent of the Immaculate Conception in Duke Street, at 6.15 o'clock on the morning of the 1st March 1917. Sister Mary Fidelis who before she entered the Order of St. Francis, was Miss Gertrude Sullivan, was a native of Milford, Massachusetts and came to Jamaica on the 6th of August, 1894. the An excellent teacher, she was the friend of the children whom she taught, and of the poor. For fourteen years she served as Principal of Schools, first at St. Anne's Infant School, North Street, and next at St. Anthony, Orange Street. Sister Fidelis was a sister of Sister Monica of the same convent, who holds the position of Prefectress of the Boarding School.

Harty the Rev. Canon Thomas, late Rector of St. Matthew's Church, Allman Town, Kingston, died at his late residence, Bolivar House, Arnold Road, on the 2nd March, 1917. Canon Harty was born at Falmouth the 8th of March, 1843. He was twice married. His first wife was the daughter of Dr. Porter, and his second wife the sister of the Rev. Henderson, of Bethel Town. He was made a deacon in 1866, and Priest in 1867. He was appointed Canon of the Cathedral, Spanish Town, since 1899. The deceased clergyman was formerly Acting Curate of Golden Grove during 1866 and 1869, and was Rector of Annotto Bay from 1869 to 1882. He was also Rector of Brown's Town from 1882 to 1887, and of Port Antonio until 1906. He was next Rector of Harewood from 1906 to 1910, when he was appointed Rector of St. Matthew's Church, Allman Town, Kingston. The last official act of the deceased clergyman, in connection with the St. Matthew's Church was to attend the annual meeting of the Sunday School Teachers. That night he became ill; he was seized with a paralytic stroke, from which he never recovered.

© 2013. Jamaican Family Search hereby grants you a limited license to copy and use the materials provided on this site solely for your personal, non-commercial use. No other use of the site or materials is authorized. You agree that any copy of the materials (or any portion of the materials) that you make shall retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained therein. Posting of materials on other Web Sites is strictly prohibited.


Search for



Plan of this website

Help - Frequently Asked Questions

Jamaica Almanacs Slave-owners, Civil & Military officers, Magistrates etc.

Items in the Samples Directory

Items in the Members Directory

Transcriptions from Registers and Wills (Church of England, Dissenters, Civil Registration)

Jamaican Roman Catholic Church Registers - transcriptions

Jamaican Methodist Baptisms - transcriptions

Jewish births marriages deaths - transcriptions

Slaves and slavery in Jamaica

Photographs, maps, prints, etc.