Jamaican Family Search Genealogy Research Library




It is only fitting that in this volume which aspires to give the careers of the public men and women of this colony who have made their mark in the history of this island, that we should refer to the passing away of Jamaica's most distinguished son. We refer to Colonel the Hon. James Ward, C.M.G. In the seventy-sixth year of his age, honoured, respected, beloved, he passed away in Kingston on the 7th December of 1913. The story of his life is a record of successful achievement, and also the history of a simple unostentatious man. He inherited a great business J. Wray and Nephew. As long ago as 1864 he assumed full management of it, and for close upon fifty years he guided and directed its fortunes. He made a fortune but he made it by hard work. He became a great factor in the financial and commercial concerns of this country.. . . He began as an elected representative of the people, as a member of the Legislative Council for the parishes of Kingston and St. Andrew. . . .



We could not complete this volume without reference to the life of the late Frederick Louis Myers, J.P., who passed away on the night of the 5th October, 1915, at the Hotel Ansonia, New York, in the sixty-third year of his age. For many years the leading wholesale merchant of this island, and the most prominent Jewish citizen, Mr. Myers was esteemed and respected by all who knew him. Mr. Myers was the son of the late Mr. Abraham Myers of Kingston, and was born in the metropolis about 62 years ago. On completing his education he decided on a business career, and started out in a small way as a wholesale merchant and commission agent in the city. When he retired, about eighteen months before his death, the firm of Fred. L. Myers & Son had developed into one of the largest and most power business organizations; not only in the island, but in the British West Indies. For many years he was a Justice of the Peace for Kingston.




A melancholy interest attaches to our having to record in our very issue the death of so prominent and eminent a citizen as Dr. George Courtnay Henderson. A son of the Honourable George Henderson, a member of the Legislative Council, he was born on 17th November, 1853 at Clones, Co., Monaghau, Ireland, where his parents had been staying. They returned, however, shortly to their home Jamaica. His early training was obtained at the old Collegiate School, in its prime and vigour. His health not being very robust, it was necessary for him to be sent to Potsdam School for the additional advantage to be derived from the climate. After a couple of years at the Gravesend Preparatory School in England, his profession was chosen, and he began the study of medicine at University College, London, where he had as fellow-students the late Dr. Arthur Saunders, and his brother, Dr. Frank Saunders. He graduated M.D. London. He then settled down in London for some years where he gained much experience and knowledge. At the earnest request of his father and other members of his family, he decided to return to what was practically his native land and received the appointment of District Medical Officer for Gordon Town. In 1885 he resigned this and commenced to practise in Kingston, and so extensive did this become that he took Dr. Ragg into partnership. . . .






JAMAICA, BISHOP of, (1880-1916) and ARCHBISHOP OF THE WEST INDIES 1897-1916. MOST REV. ENOS NUTTALL, B.D., (Lambeth) 1879, D.D. (Lambeth and Oxford), LL.D. (Cambridge) D.C.L. (Durham); Chairman of the Schools Commission, Member of the Board of Education; Chairman of the Mico Directors, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Shortwood; Member of the Consultative Committee of the Lambeth Conference; born January 26th, 1842; attached to Coke Chapel, Kingston, 1862; Deacon and Priest in the Church of England, and Island Curate of St. George's, Kingston, 1866; elected Bishop of Jamaica, July 5th, 1880; consecrated in St. Paul's Cathedral, October 28th, 1880; Bishop in Charge of the Diocese of Honduras 1881-1891; Vice-Chairman of the Board of Education 1892-1900, from the formation of the Board until he resigned the post; Primate of the West Indies 1893, Archbishop of the West Indies 1897; Member of the Board of Management of the Agricultural Society from its formation in 1895 till the 12th of November, 1915; Chairman of the Relief Committee after the Earthquake, and Delegate from the Government and people of Jamaica to the English Government and people 1907; died May 31st, 1916.

PUBLICATIONS: The Churchman's Manual; Devotions and Catechisms for Children and Young People; Lectures on the Life of the World to Come; A Hook of Special Service, A Treatise in the Special Reports of the English Board of Education on Education in Jamaica, Especially with Regard to the Teaching of Handicrafts and Agriculture; Annual Addresses to the Synod of the Church of England in Jamaica.

Enos Nuttall was born in the North-west of Yorkshire, on January 26th, 1842, and came out to Jamaica. . .



The late Director of Education, James Rowland Williams, came of a family which has resided continuously for some seven generations in Westmoreland, and has given a Custos to the Parish and two elected members to the Legislature, the first to the House of Assembly as long ago as the year 1711. His mother was the daughter of Dr. Richard Hunt Harvey and sister of the late Dr. R. S. Harvey of SavannalaMar. Mr. Williams was born and spent his boyhood at his father's home, Kew Park in Westmoreland, taking a boy's interest in the pen and outdoor pursuits, later going a little Latin with his uncle, Mr. Anthony Harvey, who was at one time busha of the pen. At the age of fourteen he went to England and became a pupil at Somersetshire College, Bath. With the Rev. T. M. Bromley, the Headmaster, he formed a friendship which remained one of the most cherished experiences of his life. From Bath he won an open scholarship at Trinity College, Oxford, and completed his studies there in 1883. On his return home he obtained appointment as Inspector of Schools in 1884. In 1888 he married the daughter of Major-General W. T. F. Farewell of Bath, whose family on her mother's side had earlier representatives in Jamaica in the Senior family. During thirty-two years Mr. Williams took a great interest in the schools of his district and become the head of the Education Depertment on the retirement of the Hon. Thomas Capper in 1909. . . .



The late Mrs. William Wilson, was the wife of Mr. William Wilson, of this city. Although she only lived in Jamaica for a comparatively short time, by her charming manner, Mrs. Wilson endeared herself to the people of the island, and her almost sudden death on September 12th, 1916 cast a gloom over the entire community. She was born in Paris. She subsequently concluded her studies in Italy. She arrived in Jamaica in February, 1910. She was a great friend of the dumb animals, and amongst the first movements in which she interested herself here was the S. P. A. J. of which she was subsequently elected a member. She was the prime mover in the local Girl Guides Association. Her good work in connection with recruiting in Jamaica, which started by her husband will live in history. She attended nearly every demonstration up to the time of her death, and she would go amongst. the crowd obtaining recruits. She also interested herself in the way of providing comforts for the men, and her words of good cheer to them were at all times appreciated. Mrs. Wilson's last public appearance was at the big War Anniversary demonstration in the Ward Theatre on August 4th, 1916 in which, with her husband, she took a prominent part. The death of Mrs. Wilson, although not unexpected by who knew of the serious nature of the illness that had seized her, came as a great shock to the community, and the island generally. The funeral cortege on the afternoon of September 13th, 1916, was a large one.


Through the courtesy of the Editors of the Jamaica Hand Book we have been able to publish the obituaries of the most prominent people who have been familiar in the life of the colony, and who have either died in Jamaica or abroad during the past 10 years. We publish them in the order below:-


Bourke, Wellesley, a son of Wellesley Bourke, a solicitor and advocate of the Supreme Court of Jamaica, and also a member of the old House of Assembly, was born in 1845. He educated at the Collegiate School Kingston, and at Shrewsbury School in England. On his return to Jamaica, he was first articled to his father, who was then practising in Montego Bay, but his articles were afterwards transferred to Aikman, who was then the Crown Solicitor of colony. On the death of Aikman, his articles were transferred to the firm of Hill, Airy and Harvey, solicitors of Kingston. He was admitted as a solicitor on the 14th of October, 1870, and remained with Mr. Harvey as managing clerk, and later on became his partner. He was elected member of the Legislative Council for St. James and Trelawny in 1885, and he represented those parishes till the dissolution of the Council in 1894, but he was then beaten at the polls by a local candidate, John E. Kerr. He was a member of the first City Council of Kingston which came into office on the 1st of October, 1885, on the change of the Parochial Boards of the colony. On the resignation of several members in 1886 (consequent on the passing of the Poor Relief Law) he held, for a time, the position of Mayor till September, 1888. As a member of the Roman Catholic body, he took a prominent part in all matters relating to the Church. He married Miss Cesvet, a granddaughter of the late President Geffrard of Hayti. He died in Kingston on the 1st of July, 1906, only surviving his former partner, Thomas Harvey, by a little more than a fortnight.

Campbell, Charles Lachlan, the son of Donald Campbell, a solicitor, was born in Jamaica in 1832. He was educated at Wolmer's School, Kingston. He was at first employed in commercial life: but soon joined the reportorial staff of the "Morning Journal," then under the editorship of Edward Jordon, at a time when party feeling ran high, and when the old order was passing away and the new had hardly formed; but he himself was moderate in his views and in his expression of them. His talents soon caused him to be appointed assistant editor: and he became known for his forcible writing on the part of the people as opposed to the plantocracy. He was then for a time editor of "The Gleaner," but ultimately started his own paper "The Budget." He suffered materially by the great fire in Kingston in 1882, and never fully recovered. Ever a keen politician, he was induced to go to the poll in 1885 as a candidate for Kingston and St. Andrew, in the Legislative Council. Though not elected he was placed second between William Malabre and George Solomon; and henceforth he confined his politics to the advocacy of other candidates. He attained eminence as a Mason. He died in Kingston on the 11th of August, 1906.

Courtenay, Bishop Reginald was the second son of the Right Hon. Thomas Peregrine Courtenay, brother of the tenth Earl of Devon, and a grandson of a former Bishop of Exeter. He was educated at Westminster and Tonbridge Schools and at Hertford College, Oxford, where he took his degree in 1835. He was called to the Chancery Bar in 1838, and practised until 1841, in which year he was ordained to the Curacy of St. Stephen, Dublin. From 1842 to 1852 he was Rector of Thornton Watlass, Yorkshire, and in 1853 he was appointed Archdeacon of Middlesex, in Jamaica, under Bishop Spencer. Early in 1866, on Bishop Spencer's retiring in consequence of ill health, Dr. Courtenay was consecrated bishop CoAdjutor of Kingston, through the continued illhealth of the Bishop of Jamaica (who died in 1872) was in sole charge of the diocese of Jamaica from 1856 until his retirement in April, 1879, after a connection of a quarter of a century with the diocese. From 1882 to 1888 Bishop Courtenay was Chaplain at L'Ermitage In France. He married in 1842 Georgiana, second daughter of Admiral Sir John de la Poer Beresford, by whom he had a family of two sons and three daughters. He died on 13th April in London at the age 93.

Farquharson, James Miller, was the head of his branch of a well-known family. Mr. Farquharson entered the political arena on the partial restoration of representative government, being returned for St. Elizabeth. From then until he retired from the Legislative Council he was always reelected the representative of the parish. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace, then custos of the parish, and a few years was awarded the C.M.G., for his services to the colony as a legislator. He died on the 13th of October, at Elgin, i St. Elizabeth, aged eighty years and eleven months.

Fisher, James Wauchope, the son of Charles Fisher, a solicitor, and Margaret Wauchope whose family lost a distinguished member in General Wauchope during the South African war, was born in Edinburgh in 1822. He was educated at Edinburgh University as a solicitor; and came in 1843 on account of his health to Jamaica, where he finally settled. In 1856 he was married to Isabel, eldest daughter of the Rev. Hugh Seymour Yates, and settled down at Hampstead in Trelawny, for which and other estates he was at the time attorney. Shortly after his marriage he bought Mahogany Hall and built the house there. Here he lived for upwards of 50 years acting as attorney for several properties, and taking a practical interest in public affairs. In the year 1865 when clouds seemed to gather over the social life of the community and the Trelawny volunteer company was formed, Mr. Fisher was elected its Captain. The following year he was formally asked to discharge the duties of Senior Magistrate and became Custos of the parish, which position he held for over 30 years, until 1897 when increasing age compelled him to resign, although he continued to fulfil the duties of the office for some years longer, until the appointment of the present Custos. He died on the 8th of October, 1906.

Harvey, Thomas Lloyd was born at Spanish Town in 1841. He was educated at the Kingston Collegiate School by the Rev. John Radcliffe, and became a solicitor in 1863 having been previously articled to the firm of Hill and Airy, into which firm he subsequently entered as junior partner in the place of Barnard FitzGerald, the firm being then Hill, Airy and FitzGerald. The firm thus changed into Hill, Airy and Harvey. The late Mr. Wellesley Bourke having had his articles transferred from his. father Wellesley Bourke, to this firm, he was, after he had been admitted. as a practising solicitor, taken into the firm, which afterwards became Harvey and Bourke. In 1886 he was unanimously elected a member of the Legislative Council for St. Catherine in the room of Hon. E. G. Levy, deceased. From 1886 to 1894 he represented St. Catherine in the Legislative council. He ever took a keen interest in St. Catherine, especially in the old capital of Spanish Town, and spent much of his private income in furthering its welfare. He was instrumental in securing the establishment of the Rio Cobre Hotel; and it was due to his persistence that the Statue of Rodney was restored from Kingston (whither it had been taken when Kingston became the chief town of the colony) to its original position at Spanish Town. He played a considerable part in the sale of the railway to the American syndicate, which at one time owned it. He was also instrumental in getting the Hematine Works in Spanish Town established. About the year 1901, failing health compelled him to retire from the active duties of his profession. He went to Scotland and died at or near Edinburgh, on the 4th July, 1906.

Milne Andrew Jameson was born at Fyvie, Aberdeenshire, and was educated at the grammar school, Aberdeen, and subsequently graduated at King's College, Aberdeen as Master of Arts. He came to Jamaica in 1855, and became associated with the Rev. John Radcliffe in the Collegiate School and assistant minister of the Scotch Kirk. He remained in Jamaica for fourteen years, during which time he rendered good service in the cause of secondary education, and was also a keen supporter of elementary education, being one of the advisers of the Government in the latter connection. At the request of the then Governor, Sir John Peter Grant, Dr. Milne visited England and Scotland for the purpose of becoming acquainted with certain details with the view to the introduction of Government Elementary Schools in Jamaica, and he was instrumental in bringing out to the island several men who have left their mark on the education of the island. For his services to the cause of education generally, his Alma Mater in 1865 conferred on him the degree of LL.D. in 1869; he left this Country to take the living of his native parish of Fyvie, which ministry he filled the date of his death in May, 1906. Dr. Milne was one of the best known men in the Church of Scotland. In 1905, he was made Moderator of the Church of Scotland.

Sanguinetti, Frederick Shedden, I.S.O., was born on the 13th September, 1847, being the youngest son of the late Moses Sanguinetti, Justice of the Peace, and sugar planter of Jamaica, and Eliza, eldest daughter of Samuel Shedden of Cheltenham, England. He married in 1881 Anne, daughter of William Lee, Administrator-General of Jamaica. He was educated at Cheltenham Grammar School and entered the Civil service of Jamaica in 1863, and in the following year was transferred to the Colonial Secretary's Office. In 1883 and again 1885 he was appointed Acting Commissioner of the Turks and Islands. Three or four years later he was for a time in the Falkland Islands, and administered the Government for a short time in 1891. A year or two after he returned to Jamaica, and became chief clerk in the Colonial Secretary's Office. In 1898 he retired on a pension and was appointed Commissioner of the Cayman Islands, his salary being partly made up from the pension which he received from the local authorities. Later he was called upon to discharge in addition the duties of Judge of the Dependency. In 1904 as awarded the I.S.O. During the latter part of his life Mr. Sanguinetti had been in failing health, he went to the mother country for a change, and died in London on the 25th October, 1906. He took a deep interest in historical research, and was also an ardent gardener. He was one of the originators and for a time one of the joint-editors of the Handbook of Jamaica.


Through the courtesy of the Editors of the Jamaica Hand Book we have been able to publish the obituaries of the most prominent people who have been familiar in the life of the colony, and who have either died in Jamaica or abroad during the past 10 years. We publish them in the order below:-


Barrett, George Edward , a native of Jamaica, who died at his residence in St. Ann on the 11th of February, had for many years lived in retirement. A true "old time" planter, he was at one time a keen politician and played his part in the affairs of the island, writing to the papers (chiefly the "Colonial Standard") under his initials E. G. B., especially during the governorship of Sir John Peter Grant. He was at one time a member of the old Municipal Board and later the Parochial Board of St. Ann. He represented St. James and Trelawny for a short time in the Legislative Council (1884-88.)

Burke George Eustace, who was born in Kingston and educated at Wolmer's School; started business on his own account in 1886, in partnership with his brother, as liquor and provision merchants. He was for years a member of the Mayor and Council of Kingston and some time held the office of Mayor. He was also commercial agent for Canada in Jamaica, a Justive of the Peace for Kingston and St. Andrew, a member of the Kingston Parish Church Committee, and a prominent Mason, Forrester, and Oddfellow. He died in New York, whither he had gone for the benefit of his health, on October 2nd, at the age of 47.

Buttenshaw, William Roberts, M.A., B.Sc., born in March 1878, was educated at St. Alban's Grammar School, and Mareschal College, Aberdeen, and Heidelburg. He was appointed Imperial Lecturer in Agriculture in the West India Department of Agriculture, and was stationed in Jamaica till 1903, when he went to Barbados as Assistant to Sir Daniel Morris. He was appointed by the Secretary of State to a post in India in June, 1907. He died at Calcutta in September.

Clarke, Rev. Henry, came out to Jamaica from England to fill the position of headmaster of Rusea's School, Lucea. He was subsequently ordained, and after labouring in Lucea, was transferred to SavannalaMar, where the best days of his life were spent. A powerful preacher, his ministration was very successful. He was a keen politician and worked for the welfare of the people. He founded in 1874, and subsequently managed for many years the Westmoreland Building Society. In 1894 he was chosen to represent Westmoreland and Hanover in the Legislative Council, and later he represented Westmoreland. He died at SavannalaMar on the 4th of August, aged 80 years. having for some ten years retired from public life.

Hemming, Sir Augustus William Lawson , G.C.M.G., was born in London, in September, 1841, was educated at Epsom College, and at the age of nineteen passed, by competition, into the Colonial Office, where he gradually rose to be Principal Clerk in 1879. He made a special study of boundary questions and was sent several times to Berlin and Paris in connection with the delimitation of various outlying parts of the British Empire. He was made a Companion of St. Michael and St George in 1885, a Knight Commander in 1890, and a Grand Cross in 1900. From 1896-1898 he was Governor of British Guiana. In February of the last named year he assumed the Governorship of Jamaica which he held till May, 1904. During his regime the trustees on behalf of bondholders assumed possession of the railway, owing to failure in payment of interest on first mortgage bonds, and the Government subsequently resumed possession of the line: the United States Instituted a Weather Bureau (since abandoned): an education commission, under the Chairmanship of Dr. Lumb, sat and reported: Sir David Barbour visited and reported on the finances of the colony: the Imperial Direct Line of steamers was inaugurated: £20,000 was granted by the Imperial Government in aid of the sugar industry of the colony: and the cyclone of 1903 did great damage to the colony, assessed at £125,000. He died at Cairo on the 27th of March.

Hocking, Sir Henry Hicks , was born in 1842 and educated at St. John's College, Oxford, where he graduated B.A., in 1864, and B.C.L., in 1867; called to the Bar at the Inner Temple, November, 1867; Attorney-General Western Australia, 1872; Acting Chief Justice, 1873; Acting Chief Justice Gibraltar, 1879; Attorney General Jamaica, 1880; knighted in 1895. He retired in 1895 owing to continued ill-health; for some time after he acted as one of the legal advisers of the Colonial Office. He died in London on the 9th November, 1907.

Lynch Edward Bancroft, was for many years a deputy-keeper of records. He took a deep interest in Church work; he was a member of the Incorporated Lay Body of the Church, a member of the Diocesan Financial Board, and Treasurer of the Cathedral Chapter. He died at Spanish Town on the 24th of February, aged 79 years.

McClintock, Admiral Sir Francis Leopold , K.C.B., F.R.S., D.C.L., L.D., who was born at Dundalk in 1819, entered the navy in 1831, but as not made a Lieutenant till 1845. After serving in the Pacific, he was in 1848-61 in the Arctic Seas. He became a Captain in 1854 and he shortly afterwards commanded the well-known Franklin Search Expedition. On his returning in 1859 he was knighted and laden with honours. He then served in the North Sea. From 1865 to 1868 he was Commodore at Jamaica; in 1871 he was made a Rear-Admiral; 1872 to 1877 he was Superintendent of Portsmouth dockyard; Vice-Admiral, 1878, Commander-in-Chief on the North America and West India station 1879-82; becoming a full Admiral in 1884. He died in London on the 7th of November.

Marescaux, Oscar, was born of French parentage, in England, in 1824; and after working in the Bank of England, was during the Crimean War employed by the War Department in purchasing stock for the Transport Service. After a tour to Palestine, he came out to the West Indies as an Inspector for the Colonial Bank, and before long became Manager of the Kingston branch. This post he filled with marked success until his resignation in 1900; living the while at Cherry Garden at the foot of the St. Andrew mountains, For many years the Colonial Bank was the only Institution of its kind in the island. He was appointed Custos of St. Andrew in succession to the Hon. S. C. Burke, and later he was made a nominated member of the Legislative Council. His wife, a daughter of the Hon. Hinton East, Custos of St. Andrew, pre-deceased him. He did not long survive the shock, but died in England, whither he had gone in search of health on the 2nd of January. His name lives in the Marescaux Road in Lower St. Andrew.

Middleton, John William , J.P., was born in London in 1851. He came to Jamaica in 1870 and obtained his first knowledge of planting as a bookkeeper on Constant Spring estate. He was at one time proprietor of a Soap Factory in Kingston and was afterwards in business as an Ironmonger, etc. As owner of Longville in Clarendon he was responsible for the promotion of the Amalgamated Products Company formed to make and deal in cassava starch; at Longville Park in St. Catherine he was engaged in a scheme for producing Jamaica hay on a large scale. He was for a time a member of the Mayor and Council of Kingston and represented Clarendon in the Legislative Council from 1901 to 1903. He married in 1876 Annette, daughter of G. J. Evelyn. He was killed in the earthquake of January 14th.

Moir Colonel Charles Frederick William, who died at Southsea, England, on the 19th of October, aged 73, served in the 3rd West India Regiment from 1861 till 1870. He later served in the 16th Regiment in the Afghan War in 1878-9. He then commanded the 2nd Leicestershire Regiment; his last command being the depot of the West India Regiment in Jamaica which he held till he retired in 1899.

Nathan, A. McDowell , one of Jamaica's most successful merchants, was born in Falmouth, Jamaica, but early in life removed to Kingston and started there a dry goods business, which rapidly developed. In 1893 he published a memorandum on the "Development of the Resources of Jamaica" in which he pleaded for the importation of intelligent and skilled workers into Jamaica. In later life he lived in Hertfordshire, England, paying annual visits to Jamaica and Trinidad where he also had commercial interests. He was killed in Kingston by the earthquake of the 14th of January. He left upwards of £93,000. He bequeathed shares in his firm valued at £13,000, to be divided between various religious bodies.

Pearman, Rev. William Davies, M.A., late scholar of St. Peter's College. Cambridge, was born in 1846. He was made a Deacon 1883 and a Priest in 1883. Sometime Classical Tutor and Dean of Residence of Toronto University. He edited Cicero's "Somnium Scipionis" for the Syndics of the Cambridge University Press, also Cicero's "De Legibus." He was headmaster of Potsdam School, Jamaica, from 1882 till his death on the 26th of May.

Rampini, Charles , D.L., LL.D., was born in Edinburgh in 1840, was admitted a member of the Faculty of Advocates in 1865, and was in next year appointed a Stipendiary Magistrate of Jamaica. In 1867 he was made a District Court Judge, and was stationed at Port Antonio, moving later (1868) to Mandeville and (1875) to Kingston. He retired from the Colonial Service in 1878; but the same year was appointed Sheriff Substitute of Caithness, Orkney and Shetland, with residence at Ler and in 1882 was made a Deputy Lieutenant of Shetland. He later came Sheriff-Principal of Dumfries and Galloway. He published several works on Scottish history and customs, and his "Letters from Jamaica" (Edinburgh 1873) published anonymously, is well known. He died in Edinburgh in July.

Smith Albert J. , the son of a Moravian minister, spent the earliest years of his life in Central America. He. came to Jamaica to be educated at the Moravian College at Fairfield. After teaching elsewhere, he became the first headmaster of the Moravian Elementary School in Hanover Street, Kingston, and he was also assistant minister in the Moravian Church. His last school was St. Michael's, Kingston. He retired in January, 1907 after twenty-seven years work as a teacher. He was also Editor of the "Jamaican," which ran its career in 1907. He died at Christiana in Manchester on the 29th of November.

St. Cyr. Dathan de St. Cyr, a native of Kingston, Jamaica, died in Paris on the 25th August, at an early age. He adopted a journalistic and literary career and became editor of the "Revue Haitienne" in Paris, and Officer d'Academie. In 1900 he published in Paris "Chants du Sauveteur," and "Etude sur l'Hygiene publique;" and in 1901 in Kingston "L'Humanite" a poem.

Smith Major-General Joseph Alexander was born in 1839. He joined the 1st West India Regiment 1855, became Lieutenant-Colonel in 1879, and retired in 1884. He saw considerable service on the West Coast of Africa (Ashanti in 1864 and 1873-4) and in the West Indies. He took part in the suppression of the outbreak at Morant Bay in 1865. He died at Hastings, England, on the 8th of March.

Tait Charles Walter, was born in St. Andrew and educated at Wolmer's School. He, after a short commercial career, entered the Jamaica Civil Service in 1866, and for many years was chief clerk in the Public Works Department. On his retirement in 1899, he took a practical interest in civil affairs, and was for some time previous to and at his death, Mayor of Kingston. He died in the Public Hospital, Kingston, on February, 10th, from injuries received in the earthquake of the 14th January, aged 68 years.

Vendryes, Henry was born in Jamaica of French parents in October, 1822. After a slight experience in commerce, he for upwards of forty years practised in the Law Courts both as a solicitor and an advocate, having been admitted a solicitor in 1861, and being at the time of his death the doyen of the Jamaica Bar. He achieved his first success in the celebrated "La Have" case in 1871. In 1879 he was appointed an advocate in the Supreme Court. He held the appointment of District Court Judge for the districts of Portland, St. Catherine, St. Mary and St. Andrew for upwards of three years, but on the abolition of the District Courts and the establishment of the Resident Magistrates' Courts he decided to resume private practice; and only now and then acted as Resident Magistrate for Kingston. At one time he was, for fourteen years, editor of the late "Colonial Standard." He was proficient as a musician; and as a conchologist his fame was widely known; his collection of Jamaica shells being second only to that formed by Chitty, now in the British Museum. In 1899 he published a "Systematic Catalogue of the land and fresh water shells of Jamaica," and he was ever ready to help fellow-workers. He had been a member of the Board of Governors of the Institute of Jamaica from 1889 to shortly before his death, which occurred in Kingston on the 20th of November.


Anderson, Sir William John, son of Sir George Campbell Anderson, Attorney-General of the Bahamas, was born in 1847. He was educated at Oxford and was called to the Bar in 1869. In 1874 he was appointed Judge of the Supreme Court of the Turks Islands. From 1882 to 1890 he was in Jamaica till 1888 as District Judge and afterwards as Resident Magistrate for Kingston and St. Andrew. In 1890 he became Chief Justice of Honduras, and in the same year of Trinidad and Tobago. He was knighted in 1896, and retired in 1903. He died at Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, on the 27th of August.

Baker Captain Lorenzo Dow, came of New England stock. In 1872 he first visited Jamaica in a small schooner of 90 tons and took back a shipment of bananas as an experiment, which proved successful. By great determination he, little by little increased the number of his fleet, sailing vessels giving place to steamers; and built up the Boston Fruit Company which later became the United Fruit Company, with a capital of £5,000,000. In so doing he put the banana trade of Jamaica on a firm footing, earning for himself the title of Banana King. He materially assisted in bringing tourists to the Island. About 30 steamers with a total average tonnage of 20,000, each capable of carrying upwards of 50 passengers, reach Port Antonio every week from Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore or New York. He died at Boston on the 21st of June, aged about 68 years. He belonged to the Methodist Church, and his charities were numerous.

Bell Valentine Graeme, C.M.G., who died in London on the 28th of May, was born in 1839. He came out to Jamaica in 1880 as Chief Engineer to the Jamaica Government Railway, and during his tenure of office the line was extended to Porus and to Ewarton. In 1886, he was appointed Director of Public Works, which post he held till his retirement in March, 1908, shortly before his death. He did much for the opening up of the colony by the construction of roads and bridges. The mileage of the main road system increased from 801 to 1,666 under his auspices, and 110 bridges were erected during the same period. In addition to the valuable work performed A head of his department, he played an important part in the history of colony as a legislator and counsellor in the Legislative Council and in the Privy Council. He married, for a second wife, a daughter of the late E. B. Lynch of Spanish Town.

Clarence, Robert Henry, hereditary Chief of the Mosquito Territory, died in Kingston on the 10th of January aged 35. He had been a pensioner of the British Crown resident in Jamaica since August 1894, in compensation for the deprivation of his former status, when the Nicaraguan Government took possession of the Mosquito shore.

Cork William was born in Jamaica in January, 1843. The son of Rev. Josiah Cork, he entered the Public Service of the colony in 1868, in the Internal Revenue Department, in which he served his life through, rising to be Supervisor of Revenue and Valuation Commissioner, a post which he held at the time of his death. He died in St. Andrew on the 13th of December. He was a member of the Diocesan Financial Board of the Church of England in Jamaica.

Douglas, George A., I.S.O., the Superintendent of the General Penitentiary died on the 15th of April, aged 69. His early life was passed in the Royal Irish Constabulary and in the English Prison Service. On the re-construction of the prison system of Jamaica he was selected to take charge, and served here for 25 years. He was an Irishman by birth and a Roman Catholic.

Henderson, Miss Etta, who received severe injuries in the earthquake, died on the 25th of December. The elder daughter of the late George Henderson, she devoted her life to doing good works in the city of Kingston in connection with Church and other philanthropic societies. She was a most energetic member of the committee of the Women's Self Help Society, and was for years honorary secretary of the ladies committee of the Cambridge Local Examinations. She took an active interest in the Nurses' Union, and in the Kingston Athenaeum, of which she was one of the Vice-Presidents.

Justice, Major-General William Clive born in April, 1835, was educated at Sandhurst and gazetted to the army in 1852. He served through the Indian campaign of 1857. In 1881 he became Colonel and in that year received a C.M.G. for services on the West Coast of Africa. From 1887 to 1889 he was commander of the forces in Jamaica, and at times administered the Government. He commanded the troops in Ceylon from 1893 to 1897 when he retired. He died in London on the 19th of November.

Lyons Sir Algernon McLellan, G.C.B., Admiral of the Fleet, was born in 1833. He entered the navy in 1847, gained distinction in 1854 at the mouth of the Danube; and at the bombardment of Sevastapool; he became Commander in 1858 and was employed in protecting British interests during the American civil war; became Captain in 1862. From February, 1875 to February, 1878 he was Commodore-in-Charge at Jamaica; he became Rear-Admiral in 1878; and Commander-in-Chief of the North American and West Indian station from 1889 to 1898; and finally Commander-in-Chief at Devonport. He was an A. D. C. to Queen Victoria from 1875 to 1878, and principal A.D.C. from 1895 to 1897. He was made K.C.B. in 1889, and G.C.B. in 1897. He died near Swansea on the 9th of February.

Preston, Lucius Junius, a native of Falmouth, was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Jamaica in October, 1863. In 1870 he became clerk of the Petty Sessions for Trelawny; in 1880 clerk of the Montego Bay Circuit Court; in 1888 Clerk of the Courts for Trelawny, and later Assistant Resident Magistrate for Kingston; the last appointment he held being Resident Magistrate for Hanover. He retired in 1900. He died at Falmouth on the 20th of October. He was a member of the Roman Catholic Church.

Robinson, Dr. Adrian A. , M.B., C.M. Edin., was born in Jamaica in 1855, and was educated by the Rev. John Radcliffe. After trying civil engineering, he entered the medical profession, and, after studying in London and Edinburgh, commenced to practise here in 1888. He practised for many years as a successful medical man in Kingston, of which city he was twice Mayor, 1899-1902, and he established the City Cart Service. He was a Mason of high rank, and an Oddfellow, and Court Robinson of the Order of Forresters is a memorial of his work amongst that body. He was Chairman of the Charity Organization Society; and as a member of the Relief Committee and Assistance Committee he did useful work after the earthquake of 1907. He went to England in the summer of 1908 for his health's sake, and died in London on the 22nd of August.

Thompson, Robert, was for many years Superintendent of the Botanical Gardens of Jamaica, retiring in 1879. In 1868 he built the house at Cinchona and laid out the garden. Of later years he acted as one of the Instructors in the curing and packing of produce for the Elder Dempster Company. He took considerable interest in the cultivation of cassava and pines. He died on the 28th of December, at Thornton Heath, London, aged 68 years.

Walcott, Richard Augustus, the son of a sugar planter and native of Westmoreland, served his articles under Messrs. Arthur Levy and J. T. Palache in Mandeville, and Mr. E. L. F. Morais in Kingston. In 1883 he was admitted to practise and soon joined in practise Messrs. Palache and A. W. Farquharson at Mandeville. In 1888 on the re-organization of the magistracy of the island he became Resident Magistrate for Westmoreland; and afterwards, Clarendon, and Kingston. Retiring from the service he entered into partnership with the late William Andrews in Kingston. He later became senior partner of the firm of Walcott, Robinson and Dunn, and clerk to the Legislative Council of Jamaica, and Referee of Titles. At the time of the earthquake he rendered valuable service on various committees. His death was due to his exertion half of the policyholders in the fire insurance cases in connection with the earthquake, for which purpose he had visited England shortly before, having previously rendered valuable service in the island in the protection and restoration of the city on relief committees and in consultation as to the policy to be pursued policyholders. He was President of the Kingston Athenaeum and a Mason of many years standing. He died in Kingston on the 19th June, aged 48 years.

Walker, Sir Edward Noel, who was born in 1842, was educated at Cheltenham College, and entered the Colonial Service at an early age. After serving in the Windward Islands and British Guiana, he came to Jamaica in 1874 as Assistant Colonial Secretary, rising to be Colonial Secretary in 1883. In 1887 he went to Ceylon as Colonial Secretary and became Lieutenant-Governor there in 1890. He retired in 1901. He died at Bath on the 20th of July. He was made a C.MG., in 1885 and a K.C.M.G. in 1888. While in Jamaica, in addition to being a thorough and painstaking official, he took considerable interest in Church work and he was an active member of the Jamaica Church Aid Association.


Black Major-General Sir Wilsone, C.B., a son of the late Mr. James Black of Glasgow, was born on February 10th, 1837. Entering the Army at the age of 17, he served with the 42nd Highlanders in the Crimea from June, 1865 including the siege and the fall of Sevastopol. Promoted Major in 1872, he again saw service in the Kaffir war of 1871. In the following year he took part in the Zulu war. Becoming a Lieutenant-Colonel in 1878, he was four years afterwards appointed A.A. and Q.M.G. in Nova Scotia, which post he held for five years. Subsequently he was A.A.G. at Gibraltar. From 1890 to 1893 he commanded the troops in Jamaica which he later revisited. Promoted General in 1893, he commanded for 5 years, first the Belfast district and then the troops in China and Hong-Kong, and was placed on the retired list in 1899. He died on the 5th of July at Burwood-place, London, after an operation, aged 72 years.

Bourne, Hugh Clarence, M.A., who born in London on the 9th of July, 1858. He was in 1884 called to the Bar of the Inner Temple, and subsequently entered the Colonial Civil Service. In 1893 he went out to Trinidad as Registrar General and Examiner of Titles in that colony. In 1898 he was appointed Auditor-General of Trinidad and Tobago. In 1902 he returned to England and joined the Colonial Office Staff, and in June, 1904, he was appointed Colonial Secretary of Jamaica. In September of the same year he administered the Government for about a fortnight, and again for a fortnight in May, 1907, and also for a period of about. six weeks in 1908. Mr. Bourne was made a C.M.G. in 1906. He died somewhat suddenly of typhoid fever at his residence in Half-way Tree on the 5th of January, aged 50 years.

Gray Leonard Swainson , a son of the late Rev. Charles Frederick Gray, Island Curate of St. Michael's Church, Kingston, was born in that town. He was educated at Walton School in St. Ann and afterwards in Kingston. He commenced life as a clerk in the General Post Office, and left that to enter the Judicial Department, but this he relinquished to serve articles with his cousin Mr. Baggett Gray, then Crown Solicitor; and was admitted a solicitor of the Supreme Court in 1895. After practising for about four years in Kingston and St. Catherine, he again entered the Judicial Department and successfully filled the appointment of Clerk of the Courts for Trelawny, Kingston, St. Mary and Portland. He acted as Resident Magistrate for St. Thomas and Portland on various occasions. In 1908 he was appointed to the position of Clerk of the Courts for Kingston, and at the time of his death was Acting Assistant Resident Magistrate for Kingston and St. Andrew. He died at his residence in lower St. Andrew on the 11th September, aged 45.

Murray, Rev. William Clarke, D.D., who was born at Port Royal on the 4th of November, 1833, entered the ministry of the Wesleyan Church in 1857 and laboured in Manchester, St. James, St. Thomas, Kingston and St. Ann. In 1881 he was made a governor and theological tutor of York Castle High School, which in his time produced eight Jamaica Scholars between 1881 and 1895, soon after which the school was closed. He was also governor and theological tutor of the late Barbican High School. After 57 years of a strenuous work in the ministry, he was, in 1909, at his own request, placed on the supernumerary list on account of failing health. In 1894 he received the degree of Doctor of Divinity from Wesleyan Theological College of Montreal. He died at Brown's Town, St. Ann, on the 30th of June.

Oughton, Thomas Bancroft, K.C., was born in Kingston on the 17th March, 1866. He was educated by his uncle, Burchell Oughton, and took the degrees of B.A. and LL.B. of London University. He was called to the Bar of the Inner Temple in 1887, and in that year was admitted to practice in Kingston. He succeeded his late father as clerk to the Legislative Council. In 1894 he was appointed Assistant to the Attorney General, and three years later he was made Solicitor-General and was appointed to a seat in the Legislative Council. He acted on many occasions as Attorney-General, and in 1906 he received the appointment of that office, in succession to Sir H. R. Pipon Schooles, and soon afterwards took"silk." In 1909 he was appointed Acting Chief Justice and died, while holding that appointment, on the 9th of August, at his residence at Half-Way Tree in St. Andrew, at the early age of 43. He was a Freemason.

Swift Rev. Arthur Henry, an American by birth, resided in Jamaica many years. He was the Representative and Trustee of the Iowa yearly meeting of Friends, and controlled all the mission stations of that society in the island. He died at Sea Side, Hector's River, the chief mission station of the Society of Friends in Jamaica, on June 29th.

Watson, John Robertson, was, after serving his articles with his father, Mr. S. H. Watson, admitted to practice as a solicitor on the 13th of August, 1891. He established a practice in St. Thomas, and at the last general election he contested the seat and was chosen the member for that parish. He died while in England in search of health on the 9th of July.

White Colonel Frederick Benjamin Price, the third son of Mr. Benjamin White, Inspector-General of Hospitals, entered the army in 1863. He served in many of the colonies. He received the thanks of the Colonial Office and was commended highly by the late Duke of Cambridge, Commander-in-Chief, for his services In British Honduras. After administering the Government of the Gold Coast for some time as Acting Governor, his services there received the "full approval" of the Secretary of State. He commanded the first battalion West India Regiment from 1882 to 1887, and later commanded the Depot at Up-Park Camp, Jamaica, on formation until 1894. On retiring from the army he settled in Jamaica. At the time of the earthquake of 1907 he became interested in seismology, and published a pamphlet setting forth a new theory of the origin of earthquakes. He died at his residence in St. Andrew on the 27th of October, at the age of 65 years, and was buried, with military honours, at Up-Park Camp. Colonel White was for some years a member of the Board of Governors of the Institute of Jamaica.


Alexis, General Nord, who died in Kingston on the 1st May, at an advanced age, upwards of ninety, had been resident in Jamaica, an exile from Hayti, since the time (December 1908) when he was driven from the presidency--which he had acquired by force of arms from General Simon Sam--by the coup d'etat, which placed General Antonio Simon in the presidential chair. Before he became President, Alexis governed with ability for some forty years the northern province of the country. But as President fate was too strong for him. The whilom favourite, sharing the fate of unpopularity which had fallen to many of his predecessors, had to find refuge in a strange land. His body was removed to Hayti for interment.

Feurtado, Walter Augustus, died in Kingston on the 23rd of November, aged 71 years. He was for many years clerk to Messrs. Harvey and Bourke, solicitors. He was a Past Master of the Royal Lodge of Masons and was interested keenly in astronomy and antiquarian matters. His published writings include "A forty-five years Reminiscence of the characteristics and characters of Spanish Town" (1890); "The Jubilee Reign of Queen Victoria in Jamaica" (1890); "Index to the Laws of Jamaica" (1880, 1889, 1892); and "Official and other Personages of Jamaica from 1655 to 1700" (1896.) The last named is of use to students of Jamaica biography and genealogy; its chief limitations being due to the fact that the sources of information used were incomplete.

Isaacs, Hon. Charles Earle, the son of the late Mr. Isaac Isaacs, was born at "Iver," Malvern, in 1838. He was educated at Rosall College, Lancashire; and joined his father in business as general merchants at Black River in 1866. On the death of his father three years later, he carried on the business, retiring ultimately in 1890. He was made a Justice the Peace; he served on the Old Vestry, the Municipal and Parochial Boards, and on Munro and Dickenson's Trust, and was at the time of his death member for St. Elizabeth in the Legislative Council. He died on the 22nd March.

Kilburn, Rev. Canon Henry Hemmingway, who was born at Dewsbury, England, in 1831, came out to Jamaica and was at first engaged in the teaching profession. Deciding take Holy Orders he was ordained Deacon in 1871. He was made a priest in the following year, and became Rector of Golden Grove which cure he held till 1878, when he went to Swanswick, where he remained till 1881, when he became Rector of St. George's Church, Kingston. This benefice he held till his retirement from Jamaica in July, 1907. He was made a Canon of the Cathedral Church of St. Catherine in 1898 and was appointed Assistant Commissary of the Diocese in 1906. At the time of his death, which occurred in January, 1910, he was Chaplain to the Wiltshire Lunatic Asylum, and assistant to the Rector of St. John's Church, Devizes. Immediately after the earthquake of 1907, as one of the Secretaries of the Relief Committee, he did very hard work, which undoubtedly told on his health.

Seymour, Hon. George Solomon, or to give him the name by which he will always be remembered in Jamaica, the Hon. George Solomon, born at Southampton, England. He came to Jamaica when he was nineteen years old, and was at first employed by his brother, Abraham Solomon, at Falmouth. He then started business for himself in Kingston, and after a successful commercial career, entered on agricultural ventures owning at one time as many as ten sugar estates and also being a pioneer in banana cultivation. He sat in the old House of Assembly for St. Thomas-in-the-East, and was later one of the Executive Committee (first appointed in 1854 to assist the Governor in matters of general administration) of which he became Financial Minister in 1861 at a time when the finances of the colony were in a critical condition and much retrenchment was effected. He sat for some years as a member of the Legislative Council, and there drew attention to the serious state of the finances of the colony under Crown Government, and a Royal Commission was appointed to report on the subject. He was for a time Custos of Portland, and was Senior Magistrate for Kingston. He died of pneumonia, on the 15th October, in Philadelphia, in his 83rd year. His body was brought to Jamaica for interment in the cemetery of the German Synagogue in Elletson Road, Kingston.

Taylor, Captain George Goodwin, who died in August, was the son of Dr. George Taylor of Derby, England. Born at Derby on the 24th March, 1850, he entered the Army in 1870 and came with his regiment, the 4th King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment) to Jamaica in 1878. In 1883 while in Jamaica he retired from the Army, and, marrying Miss Finzi, second daughter of the late Mr. Daniel Finzi, purchased Moy Hall an estate in St. Thomas-in-the-East. He was made a Justice of the Peace for that parish in the following year. He first cultivated cinchona, but subsequently went in for coffee, adopting all the latest improvements in the way of cultivation and curing, including a light mountain railway up the higher slopes of the Blue Mountain; and made Moy Hall one of the most. successful coffee estates in the West Indies. Mainly through his instrumentality the mountain driving road from the 11th mile on the Windward Road up to Cedar Valley was made. He was made Custos of the parish of St. Thomas in 1905, but resigned office owing to failing health in 1910, shortly before his death, though he continued to act until then at the request of the Governor.

Thompson, John , who was born in the county of Tyrone, Ireland, in 1845, served first in the Royal Irish Constabulary, and then in the English Prison Department. In 1883 he came to Jamaica and worked under the late Mr. Douglas in reorganizing the prison system of Jamaica, first in the General Penitentiary as principal warder, and then as Deputy Superintendent. From 1897 he was Superintendent of the St. Catherine District Prison at Spanish Town, till he retired in 1908, and during that time the prison farm was instituted. He died in Kingston on the 13th November.

© 2013. Jamaican Family Search hereby grants you a limited license to copy and use the materials provided on this site solely for your personal, non-commercial use. No other use of the site or materials is authorized. You agree that any copy of the materials (or any portion of the materials) that you make shall retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained therein. Posting of materials on other Web Sites is strictly prohibited.


Search for



Plan of this website

Help - Frequently Asked Questions

Jamaica Almanacs Slave-owners, Civil & Military officers, Magistrates etc.

Items in the Samples Directory

Items in the Members Directory

Transcriptions from Registers and Wills (Church of England, Dissenters, Civil Registration)

Jamaican Roman Catholic Church Registers - transcriptions

Jamaican Methodist Baptisms - transcriptions

Jewish births marriages deaths - transcriptions

Slaves and slavery in Jamaica

Photographs, maps, prints, etc.