Jamaican Family Search Genealogy Research Library
For Will of John Phipps see below.
[For a photograph of the Saunders house, with Emma and Elizabeth Saunders out front, please go to Saunders House.]
WILL OF MRS. E. L. SAUNDERS
Bubb & Co.,
IS THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT of me EMMA
LOUISE SAUNDERS of Pine Lodge Cheltenham in the
1. I APPOINT my daughters Mary Elizabeth Stenhouse and Isabel Minna Louise Walford to be the Executrices of this my will.
2. I DIRECT that my debts funeral and testamentary expenses shall be paid as soon as may be after my decease.
3. I GIVE AND BEQUEATH the following specific legacies :- All my jewellery equally between my daughters or such of them as shall survive me or if any of them shall predecease me. I GIVE AND BEQUEATH the share of the daughter so dying to her daughter or daughters. My handpainted dessert service and blue and gold coffee set to my said daughter E. M. Stenhouse. My French Clock and the portraits of my Grandfather and Grandmother to my said daughter I. M. L. Walford. My silver tea service of four pieces given to me by my Mother, my piano and the portrait of my Aunt and Uncles to my daughter Helen Norah Beatrice Saunders. My large silver ink stand to my son-in-law Harold Walford. My small silver tea service of three pieces to my grand-daughter Katherine Stenhouse. All the rest of my silver plate equally to my son Frank Phillippo Rich Saunders and my grand-son Arthur David Rich Saunders. AND I DIRECT that if my said grand-son is not of the age of 21 years at my decease his share of the said silver plate shall remain in the custody of his Mother until he shall survive such age. All the rest of my furniture and household and personal effects equally between my said three daughters or such of them as shall survive me.
4. I GIVE AND BEQUEATH the legacies following ( all free of duty ) :- To my said daughter E. M. Stenhouse £3000 for her own use. To my said son F. P. R. Saunders £5000. To my said daughter I. M. L. Walford £5000 for her own use. To my said daughter H. N. B. Saunders £2000. To Lloyds Bank Ltd. ( herein after called “the Bank” ) and to my said daughter E. M. Stenhouse ( hereinafter collectively to as “my Trustees” ) £5000 Upon trust to pay the income derived therefrom to my daughter-in-law Dorothy May Saunders for her life or until she shall marry again and on the death or re-marriage of the said D. M. Saunders which shall first happen. Upon trust to pay and transfer the said sum of £5000 and the investments representing the same to my said grand-son A. D. R. Saunders absolutely but if the said A. D. R. Saunders shall have died leaving a child or children who shall survive me and the said D. M. Saunders and shall attain the age of 21 years. Upon trust to pay and transfer the said sum of £5000 to such of them the said child or children as shall attain the age of 21 years but if the said A. D. R. Saunders shall have predeceased me and the said D. M. Saunders or shall die under the age of 21 years without leaving a child or children who shall survive me and the said D. M. Saunders and shall attain the age of 21 years my Trustees shall pay and transfer the said sum of £5000 and the investments representing the same to such of my children the said E. M. Stenhouse F. P. R. Saunders I. M. L. Walford and H. N. B. Saunders as shall then be living and if any of them shall have died leaving a child or children him or her his or her share shall be paid to or equally amongst such children or children. To each of the following grand-children namely :- Cynthia Stenhouse, Jennifer Stenhouse and the said Katherine Stenhouse Daphne Walford and Margaret Saunders £50. To Mabel Phillippo £100. To Benjamin Thomas if he shall be in my service at my decease and shall not then be under notice to leave my service either given by me or by him £5 for each completed year of service with me.
5. I GIVE AND BEQUEATH my shares in the Jamaica Ice Making Company equally between my said three daughters E. M. Stenhouse I. M. L. Walford and H. N. B. Saunders or such of them as shall survive me.
6. I DEVISE AND BEQUEATH all my real and personal estate whatsoever and wheresoever not hereby or by any Codicil hereto otherwise specifically disposed of including any property over which I may have power of appointment unto the said E. M. Stenhouse and I. M. L. Walford Upon trust to sell call in and convert the same into money with power to postpone the sale calling in and conversion of any part or parts of my said real and personal estate at their discretion and after payment out of the money arising thereby or out of my ready money of my debts funeral and testamentary expenses and the legacies given by this my Will or any Codicil thereto to hold the residue of such any part or parts of my estate for the time being unconverted ( hereinafter called “my residuary estate” ) Upon trust to same equally between my said three daughters E. M. Stenhouse I. M. L. Walford and H. N. B. Saunders my said son F. P. R. Saunders and my said grand-son A. D. R. Saunders PROVIDED that if the said A. D. R. Saunders shall predecease me leaving a child or children who shall survive me and shall attain the age of 21 years such child or children shall take if more than one equally between them the share which the said A. D. R. Saunders would have taken if he had survived me but if the said A. D. R. Saunders shall predecease me leaving a child or children who shall survive me and attain the age of 21 years or if the said A. D. R. Saunders shall survive me and shall die under the age of 21 years without leaving a child or children living at his decease the share of my residuary estate to which the said A. D. R. Saunders would have been entitled shall be divided equally amongst my said daughters and my son and the issue of a daughter or son who shall have died leaving such issue to take only the share which his her or their parent would have taken if such parent had been living at the date of the failure of the gift to the said A. D. R. Saunders.
7. I DIRECT that if any of my children shall predecease me leaving a child or children who shall survive me and shall attain the age of 21 years such child or children shall take ( if more than one equally between them ) the legacy and share of residue which his her or their parent had survived me.
8. I DECLARE that any money to be invested under this my Will shall be invested at the absolute discretion of my Trustees not necessarily in securities authorised by law for trust funds.
9. I DECLARE that the Bank may shall have power instead of acting personally to employ a Solicitor Broker or any other Agent to transact all or any business required to be done in relation to my estate including the receipt and payment of money. AND I FURTHER DECLARE that the Bank may (without being liable to account for any profit thereby made ) retain as Bankers on current account or deposit account or advance all moneys necessary or convenient to be retained as aforesaid or advanced in connection with my estate on such terms as the Bank would reasonably make with a customer of the Bank of London under similar circumstances. And the Bank shall also be entitled to remuneration ( free of duties and as a first charge on the said share of my estate ) in accordance with the Bank’s scale of fees being in force at the date of this my Will or such other scale ( if any ) as may be arranged by special written agreement between the Bank and me.
IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto set my hand this twelfth day of August one thousand nine hundred and thirty three.
SIGNED by the said Emma Louise Saunders
The Testatrix as and for her last Will
and Testament in the presence of us
present and in the presence of each
other have hereunto subscribed our
names as witnesses :-
( Sgd ) E. Louise Saunders
( Sgd ) John Bubb
( Sgd ) Harry Clifford
Clerk to Messrs. Bubb & Co.
WILL OF JOHN PHIPPS
Pay one full and equal third
part or share of the rents and profits of plantations and freehold estates in
· Invest the remaining two full and equal third parts or shares of such rents or profits during the said period from time to time in purchase of Bank Consolidated three percent annuities in the names of the said trustees ..for the purposes by me herein after declared.
· Upon expiration of the lease to sell – give a proper effectual receipt for the money arising
I give to friends WILLIAM WITHERBY of
· to pay one full moiety of rents and profits thereof to THOMAS TOURNER and MARY TOURNER during their lives by two equal half yearly payments and after the decease of MARY TOURNER and THOMAS TOURNER pay the same moiety to my ?niece ELIZABETH TOURNER for the term of her natural life.
· the other remaining full and equal undivided moiety in trust for THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER for ever
I do hereby give all my
leasehold messuages or tenement (being no 48) in
And I give to my two
trustees THOMAS DE LA BECHE and GEORGE
· Unto THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER all my books paintings prints drawings plate ?jewells china linen good chattels household stuff and furniture wearing apparel and all at Prospect Place at the time of my decease (not including money or securities for money nor the wearing apparel watch rings and trinkets which belonged tomy late dear wife)
· Unto my faithful servant ANN HUSBANDS all the wearing apparel rings and trinkets together with the watch which belonged to my late wife
Unto THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER my ?renters
· I give all my stocks funds monies due and owing to me debts and all my personal estate… whatsoever…. not before given or disposed of to after payment of debts funeral expenses etc …and after payment of legacies .. taxes … to WILLIAM WITHERBY, JOHN AMOSS, THOMAS WILLIAM JOHN GRIFFITHS and THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER upon trust ..to and for the several intents and purposes by me hereinafter mentioned.
· Twenty pounds per annum long annuities now standing in my name to my said servant ANN HUSBANDS for and during her natural life ….after her decease for THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER
Ten pounds per annum long
annuities for MARY KNIGHT no 125
Ten pounds per annum long
case MARY DOLAFIELD of
· Thirty pounds per annum short annuities in trust for JOHN AMOSS
· Twenty pounds per annum short annuities unto my cousin MARY GOULDING of Hertford spinster on her decease for MARY GRIFFITHS of Blackman St Southwark widow ( the mother of THOMAS WILLIAM JOHN GRIFFITHS)
· Ten pounds short annuities for ROBERT DOUGLASS now or late of Kingsland Middlesex gentleman
Ten pounds short annuities for worthy neighbour JOHN HARE of
· The said THOMAS DE LA BECHE, GEORGE KINGHORN, SAMUEL FELSTED shall and will stand and be possessed of and interested in as well the said Bank Consolidated three percent annuities wherein the two thirds of the profits of plantation & freehold estate in Jamaica are by me herein before directed to be invested as also of and in ?? and net monies to arise by the sale of the said estates etc at the expiration of the said lease (after deducting costs….) upon the several intents and purposes and with under and subject to the proviso by me herein after declared
Concerning one full and
equal fourth part of the Bank Consolidated three perecnt annuties and the
net monies to be produced by the sale of estates in
· Remaining three forths parts in trust to transfer :
· two full and equal tenth parts or shares of and in such three fourths unto WILLIAM WITHERBY
· One other tenth part to ISAAC SAMUEL TOURNER (brother of THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER)
· One other tenth part to SAMUEL FELSTED
· One other tenth part to WILLIAM TOURNER (another brother of THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER)
· One other tenth part to MARY TOURNER (one of the sisters of TPT)
One other tenth part to ELIZABETH AMOSS the elder of
· One other tenth part to MARY KNIGHT
· One other tenth part to THOMAS WILLIAM JOHN GRIFFITHS
· One tenth part to THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER
· WILLIAM WITHERBY, JOHN AMOSS, THOMAS WILLIAM JOHN GRIFFITHS and THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER shall and will stand and be possessed of and interested in the ??? of my personal estate after and subject as aforsaid upon the trust
· One full and equal moiety or half share thereof in trust for the said THOMAS WILLIAM JOHN GRIFFITHS
· The remaining full and equal or half part moiety in trust for THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER
· I do hereby nominate nominate and appoint WILLIAM WITHERBY JOHN AMOSS THOMAS WILLIAM JOHN GRIFFITHS and THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER executorsof this my last will and testament
· It is my mind and will that THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER shall as soon as conveniently may be after my decease obtain as ? from the Crown under his Majesties ? or some other proper authority for enabling him to assume and take upon himself the surname of PHIPPS only provided always
· I do hereby declare my will be be that it shall be and may be lawfull to and for my trustees and executors …to deduct and retain to reimburse themselves
· Lastly hereby revoking all former and other wills … declare this to be my last will and testament contained in this and the five preceeding sheets of paper …. Signed and Sealed by JOHN PHIPPS …..
· This will was proved at London the 12/5/1800 ….by the oaths of JOHN AMOSS, THOMAS WILLIAM JOHN GRIFFITHS and THOMAS PHIPPS TOURNER the nephew and three of the executors names in the said will to whom administration was granted of all and singular the goods chattles and credits of the said deceased having been first sworn only to administer power ? of making the like grant to WILLIAM WITHERBY the other executor when he shall apply for the same.
(……before the honourable William ? Doctor and of laws and ??/of WILLIAM WITHERBY the ? executor …in the Month of March 1817 having been first sworn …)
SEARCH THIS SITE
Plan of this website
Help - Frequently Asked Questions
Jamaica Almanacs Slave-owners, Civil & Military officers, Magistrates etc.
Items in the Samples Directory
Items in the Members Directory
Transcriptions from Registers and Wills (Church of England, Dissenters, Civil Registration)
Jamaican Roman Catholic Church Registers - transcriptions
Jamaican Methodist Baptisms - transcriptions
Jewish births marriages deaths - transcriptions
Slaves and slavery in Jamaica
Photographs, maps, prints, etc.