Jamaican Family Search Genealogy Research Library
WHO'S WHO IN JAMAICA 1919
SOME PROMINENT JAMAICANS AND OTHERS WHO HAVE DIED
DURING THE PAST FOUR YEARS
Through the courtesy of the Editor of the Jamaica Hand Book we have been able to publish some of the obituaries of the most prominent people who have been familiar in the life of the colony, and who have either died in Jamaica or abroad during the past thirteen years. Several of these obituaries have, however, been written by us.
William Nassau Alexander Adams, who was born in Dublin in 1871, after serving in the Royal Irish Constabulary, entered the Jamaica Police Force as a sergeant-major in 1896. In 1898 he was promoted, rising finally to first-class inspector. He served in St. Ann, Manchester, St. Andrew, and latterly Kingston, where his chief work lay in the Detective Department. He died on April 8th.
Thomas Capper, the fourth and youngest son of Jasper Capper and Jane Fryer Capper (nee Gilpin) was torn at Waterloo near Liverpool on the 15th of October, 1853. He was educated at Kendal and for a short time at the Flounders College. He entered a merchant's office in Liverpool and stayed there several years before he went up to Cambridge in 1876. He gained a foundation scholarship at Trinity College, and graduated as Bachelor of Arts in 1879-being 15th Wrangler. He later took honours in the Natural Science Tripos. He was also a B.Sc. of London, 1876. He took his M.A., Cantab, later in life. In 1880 he was appointed Superintending Inspector of Schools in Jamaica, and until he retired in 1909 he exercised his great abilities in organizing and developing a system of Elementary Education in Jamaica suited to the needs of the Colony. He also took a deep interest in all other forms of Education, secondary, technical and training of teachers. In 1882 he was appointed a nominated member of the Legislative Council. He was Inspector of Industrial Schools and a member of many boards and committees. When he retired to England he settled first at Mill Hill, afterwards at Bournemouth, where he died on the 15th of August. His remains were cremated at Woking.
George Cooke was born in Dublin, Ireland, on the 9th of April, 1852, and was educated for the medical profession, being an F.R.C.S. of Ireland and L.R.C.P. of Edinburgh. In early life he was a surgeon in the Royal Navy and for some time was stationed at Port Royal. In 1877 he entered the medical service of Jamaica; being made district medical officer for the Mandeville district in 1878; and this position he held till his death on January 8th. He was a justice of the peace and a freemason.
Alexander Dixon was born in Kingston in 1852. He was educated at the old Mico Institution in Hanover Street, and became a teacher at Coke Chapel. He moved to St. Elizabeth and settled in business in Santa Cruz. He was for many years a member of the Parochial Board of that parish and represented it in Legislative Council from 1899 to 1904. About 1904 he left St. Elizabeth and settled in Kingston and became a member of the City Council. He still continued to use his influence in political affairs. He died on October 14th.
Rev. Thomas Harty, who was born at Falmouth in Trelawny, on the 4th of March, 1843, was made a deacon in 1866 and a priest in 1867, and a Canon of the Cathedral in 1899. He ministered during his career at Golden Grove, Annotto Bay, Brown's Town; Port Antonio, Harewood, and finally at St. Matthew's Allman Town, Kingston, where he died on March 2nd. From 1905 he had been Organizing Secretary of the Jamaica Missionary Society.
Charles P. Lazarus was born in Kingston on the 1st of May, 1836. His grandmother came from Hayti. He attended the Roman Catholic School in Sutton Street, and Wolmer's. In 1849, at the early age of thirteen, he commenced work as an engineer under the firm which erected the Kingston and Liguanea Water Works; and started business for himself as an engineer when only nineteen years old. After working on various sugar estates he established a foundry in Kingston in 1863 -the West End Foundry, which did good work for some of the sugar estates of the island, and in which during the subsequent 48 years a large number of young men learned their trade. In 1870 he did work for Sir Charles Bright on the submarine cable. He served at one time on the Mayor and Council of Kingston and was lately on the Advisory Committee of the Kingston Technical School; and he became a Justice of the Peace in 1916. He had practically retired from public life when he died, respected by all who knew him-in Kingston on the 26th of June at the advanced age of eighty-one. He was buried in the Roman Catholic cemetery in Lower St. Andrew.
Rev. Charles Melville, the son of Dr. Melville, was born in St. Vincent, B.W.I. on the 11th of June, 1845. He was educated in Canada, came to Jamaica in early life, and was for a time engaged in planting. He was ordained deacon in 1874 and priest in 1876. He held successively the cures of Buff Bay, Birnam Wood, Morant Bay, and Swanswick till 1886 when he went to Black River, of which church he was made rector in 1896. He was made a Canon in 1912. Owing to failing health he relinquished Black River and took charge of the churches of St. Alban's and Gilnock. He died on February 23rd. He was for many years a member of the Trustees of Munro and Dickenson's Schools.
Rev. William Pratt was born at Northampton, England, on the 28th of May, 1856, and was educated at Bradford Grammar School and Queen's College, Oxford, taking his B.A. with honours in classics and his M.A. in due course. He laboured till 1890 as a Baptist minister in England and then came to Jamaica to take charge of the East Queen Street Baptist Church, Kingston, and there he worked for twenty-seven years. He received severe injuries in the great earthquake of January 14th, 1907, from which he never quite recovered. He was for a time Editor of the "Baptist-Reporter," and Treasurer of the Baptist Missionary Society, and Baptist Chaplain to the Forces. He held numerous public offices of importance. His health began to fail in 1917 and he-going home for medical advice-died in the Middlesex Hospital, London, England, on the 26th of July, after an operation. He was buried at Northampton.
Thomas Charlton Day Thompson was born at Monks' Town, County Dublin, Ireland, in 1852. In early life he served in the Navy, retiring with the rank of Lieutenant. He settled in St. Thomas-in-the-East as a tobacco planter; but later became Superintendent of parochial Roads for St. Thomas. He was appointed Harbour Master in 1893 which post he held until his death, which took place at Mandeville on the 24th of August During his tenure of office he made great improvements in the lighting of Kingston harbour and the various outports. He was a member of the Marine Board, and a Justice of the Peace for Kingston.
Rev. Philip Williams was born on the 7th of August, 1850, in Pontypool, Monmouthshire. In his youth he joined the Baptist Church of that town; and after receiving training in the Pontypool Baptist College, came to Jamaica as a missionary in 1872. He served first at Mandeville and then in 1876 removed to Bethel Town and there he laboured effectively till his death. From 1877 for thirty years he was Secretary of the Calabar College, and from 1885 till his death he was Secretary of the Baptist Union. For fifteen years he was a member of the Parochial Board of Westmoreland, and for several years he was a member of the Board of Education. He was three times Chairman of the Baptist Union of Jamaica. He died at Bethel Town on November 2nd.
Napthali Meyer Alexander, who was born in Kingston, Jamaica on the 1st of August, 1856, was for many years a member of the Mayor and Council of Kingston, of which he was Vice-Chairman in 1905-1906. He held high office in Freemasonry. He died on the 26th of October, 1918.
Dr. Izett Anderson, the son of William Wemyss Anderson, was born in Jamaica in 1837. He was educated at Devizes, and Edinburgh where he graduated M.D. in 1859. He held hospital appointments in Demerara, and was then appointed Principal Medical Officer of the Public Hospital, Kingston, Jamaica. He later joined the firm of Doctors Bowerbank and Campbell and for many years after his partner retired practised medicine in Kingston. He retired in 1894 and settled in London, where he died on December 23rd. He took a keen interest the West Indian Library of the Institute of Jamaica, presented books to it, and while he was in London assisted the work of the Librarian by doing research work in the British Museum. He was joint author of "Jamaica Negro Proverbs and Sayings collected and classified according to subjects," published in 1910 by the Institute of Jamaica, of which he was an honorary member.
Albert Augustus Ayton, son of Timothy Ayton, was born in Kingston on the 10th May, 1878. He was educated at the Collegiate School, Kingston, at Edinburgh University, in London and in Paris. He was M.B. and Ch.B., Edin. After serving the usual apprenticeship in various English hospitals and in private practice, he started practice in Kingston in 1906. He was for many years Honorary Surgeon of the Jamaica Jockey Club. He died on March 1st.
Sir Henry Arthur Blake, the son of Peter Blake, County Inspector of the Irish Constabulary Force, was born at Limerick on the 18th of January, 1840. He first married in 1862, Jeannie, daughter of Andrew Irwin of Ballymore, Boyle, who died in 1866. He married secondly, in 1874, Edith, eldest daughter and coheir of Ralph Bernal Osborne of Clonmel. In 1859 he was admitted a cadet in the Irish Constabulary Force. In 1876 he was appointed a Resident Magistrate in Ireland, and in 1882 he was chosen for certain important duties, in which he distinguished himself by courage and ability. His first colonial appointment was in 1884 when he was made Governor of the Bahamas. After three years spent in that colony he was transferred to the more important post of Newfoundland, but after one year's service there he was appointed Governor of Queensland in 1888, but resigned without entering upon the administration, owing to opposition on the part of a section of the Irish residents in the colony. He was then in 1889, appointed Governor of Jamaica. At the request of the Legislature and other public bodies of the island, his term of office was extended in 1894 and again in 1896. During his tenure of office he did much to make Jamaica known to the outside world. He organized the International Exhibition of 1891, which was opened by the King, then Prince George of Wales. He was ever ready to advertise to the world the extraordinary beauty and the delights of this colony as a health resort, and the development of the tourist trade, which was at its height up to the year of the war, was due in great measure to the efforts of himself and Lady Blake. He encouraged industries which promised reward, and he caused many roads and bridges to be made, for lack of which trade had suffered materially. He was a firm believer in the .possibilities and development of Jamaica and the view for the expenditure of energy and money in order to develop the resources of the island. If a memorial is wanted of Sir Henry Blake, one has only to travel around the island and witness the splendid roads of the country. A Volume containing forty-one photographs of bridges, entitled "Jamaica Photographs of the Principal Bridges erected in the Island from 1890 to 1895, Sir Henry Arthur Blake, K.C.M.G., Governor," in the West India Library of the Institute of Jamaica, testifies to the work which he achieved in that direction and to the technical ability of Valentine Bell, the then Director of Public Works. Sir Henry Blake always manifested a great appreciation of what was necessary, for the peasantry of Jamaica. The present Agricultural Society, founded by him in 1895, was one of the best memorials to his work in aid of the agricultural development of the island.
In 1897 he was appointed Governor of Hong Kong, and after six years service in that colony, he was promoted to the Governorship of Ceylon, and after administering the affairs of that colony from 1903 to 1907 he retired on a pension.
It was on Christmas Day, 1908, that Sir Henry and Lady Blake paid a visit to Jamaica and they were extended a right hearty welcome, including an address and a public banquet. His Masonic brethren gave him an enthusiastic reception at the opening of their Temple in Hanover Street. He had been head of the Craft whilst he was Governor of this island. Sir Henry Blake settled down at Myrtle Grove, Youghal, Co. Cork. He died there on the 23rd of February at the age of 78.
Jasper Farmer Cargill, son of the late Dr. Jasper Cargill, was born at Linstead in St. Thomas-in-the-Vale in 1866. He was educated at St. George's College, Jamaica; Highgate School, England, and at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, where he took the degrees of B.A., and LL.B. He was called to the Bar of the Inner Temple in 1890. He acted as Assistant to the Attorney General and Clerk of the Legislative Council of Jamaica in 1895, as Law Examiner to the Solicitors Committee in 1897, Referee of Titles in 1900, and Secretary to the Montego Bay Riot Commission in 1902. He was Resident Magistrate in the parishes of St. Mary and St. James in 1904. He acted as Solicitor General and was a nominated member of the Legislative Council on various occasions from 1896 to 1904, and also as Puisne Judge in 1907. In 1910 he was appointed Judge of the Kingston Court and the Supreme Court of Appeal. He was a member and Vice-Chairman of the Jamaica Schools Commission. In 1907 he presided over the trial of the second case in connection with the Earthquake Fire Insurance held at Montego Bay, which was the deciding case; the jury returning a positive verdict of pre-earthquake fire. He died, in New York, whither he had gone on account of failing health, on the 27th of October.
John Howell Charley, son of P. H. Charley of Coltra, County Down, Ireland, was born at Belfast on the 24th May, 1885. He entered the Jamaica Constabulary in 1909, and served as Inspector of Police in Trelawny. He was accidentally drowned on March 10th, while shooting wild-fowl in Trelawny.
Alfred Norris Dixon, who was born on the 1st February, 1854, at Blackstone Edge, in St. Ann, was a Justice of the Peace for the parish of St. Ann, and for some time a member for the parish in the Legislative Council. He was for a time a member of the Jamaica Schools Commission and a member of the Diocesan Council and of the Diocesan Financial Board of the Church of England. He took a great interest in St. Saviour's Church, Lime Hall, and he left an endowment to St. Peter's College for the training of men for the ministry of the Church of England. He died at his property, New Ground, near Lime Hall, on the 22nd of June.
Rev. William Gillies was born at Belth, Ayrshire, Scotland on the 14th of February, 1827. At the call of the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland he came to Jamaica in 1857 and was stationed at Goshen Church in St. Mary; going thence three years later to Falmouth where he laboured for seven years. In 1867, Dr. Gillies went on furlough, and on medical advice retired from the Jamaica service. In 1868 he was appointed Visiting Secretary to the National Bible Society of Scotland, which post, he held for six years. He was then for eight years General Secretary of the Religious Tract and Book Society of Scotland. In 1882, Dr. Gillies answered the call of the Foreign Mission Board to return to Jamaica on special service, but soon after his arrival he was offered, and accepted the post of Senior Co-Principal of the Mico Training College, and for twelve years he played an important part in forming the characters of the young men who were to become the elementary school teachers of the future. In 1889 he, with the approval of the Mico Directors, visited America to study the methods adopted in the colleges and schools, and this visit led to the holding of the Teachers' Institute in 1891, which in its turn resulted in the formation of the Jamaica Union of Teachers. He retired from the Mico owing to failing health in 1898, and in 1901 an address was presented to him by some three hundred of his old students, and his portrait, painted by Mr. Foord Hughes, was presented to the Mico College. He was for many years a member of the Board of Education and of the Board of Governors of the Institute of Jamaica, of which he was for some years Chairman. In 1898 the Presbyterian College in Montreal conferred on him the Honorary degree of Doctor of Divinity. His portrait, painted by Mr. Thornley Stewart, is in the Institute of Jamaica. He died on the 31st December.
Charles Goldie was born in England in 1840. After having served in the Imperial Customs in England from the year 1863, he arrived in Jamaica in 1869, having been appointed Surveyor of Customs of the Port of Kingston. In 1885 he was appointed Collector of Customs, a post which he held until he retired in the year 1900. In conjunction with the Collector General (Richard Gillard) he did much to reorganize the work of the Customs in Jamaica. He, was for many years a member of the Diocesan Council of the Church of England in Jamaica, in which he took a keen interest. He died at Westgate-on-sea, England.
Lyndon George Gruchy was born on the 15th of February, 1852, at St. Helier, Jersey. He was educated at East College, Jersey and at St. John's College, Battersea. His first work was in 1872-1878 when he was in charge of a parochial school in Jersey. In 1879, he was appointed Assistant Master at Potsdam School, now Munro College. In 1884 he was appointed Superintendent of the Mico Training College, and in that college he laboured later as Co-Principal with the late Dr. Gillies, and afterwards as Assistant Principal under Mr. McFarlane till he retired owing to ill-health in 1916. He was one of the foundation members of the Jamaica Union of Teachers and was repeatedly elected president. He was also a member of the Diocesan Council and the Diocesan Financial Board and a member of the Incorporated Lay Body of the Church of England in Jamaica, his own particular church being St. George's, Kingston. On the formation of the Jamaica Militia in 1885, he became Senior Lieutenant, and rose to become Lieutenant-Colonel, obtaining the Volunteer Decoration Medal for twenty-one years service. He volunteered twice for active service for South Africa and West Africa. He was placed on the retired list with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in 1906. He died in Kingston on the 10th of June.
John Errington Ker was born at Portrush, Co. Antrim, Ulster (Ireland)on the 22nd of June, 1860. He was educated at Clifton College, England and at private schools at Wiesbaden and Berlin, and also in France. He was M.R.C.S. (England) and L.R.C.P, (London). He had hospital experience in Birmingham, Paris and Gibraltar, where he was appointed Assistant Surgeon in 1889. He served as Civil Surgeon in the South African War, and received a medal with three clasps. In 1904 he was appointed Superintending Medical Officer of Jamaica, and became a nominated member of the Legislative Council. He volunteered for service in the Great War, but was refused on account of age. He died at New York, whither he had gone to undergo an operation, on October 25th.
Rev. John Kingdon was born at Bideford, Devonshire, England on the 6th of February, 1836. For nearly sixty years he laboured in the Baptist Ministry in the parish of Trelawny, having at one time been pastor of Waldensia and Unity Baptist Churches ,and for over forty years pastor of Unity and Falmouth churches. Owing to failing health he retired from the Ministry in 1914. He died at Falmouth on the 24th March.
Rev. Canon Henry Miles Fleetwood MacDermot, the son of Dr. Henry MacDermot, was horn in Jamaica on the 24th of March, 1837. He was ordained deacon in 1860, priest in 1861 and created a Canon in 1899. He held successively the cures of Rural Hill St. John's Portland, Woburn Lawn, Yallahs, Grove (Gordon Town}, Mavis Bank, St. Michael's Kingston; and from 1885-1907,Craigton; during which period he was chaplain to the troops at Newcastle. He was examining chaplain and assistant commissary to the Bishop. He was for many years a prominent member of the Diocesan Council, the Diocesan Financial Board and other committees dealing with the administration of the church. He retired in 1915, and died at Montreal, Canada on the 29th September, 1918 after an influential service of fifty-five years.
Robert Eustace Nunes, son of Benjamin Nunes, was born at Montego Bay in 1854. He entered the Customs Department of the Public Service in 1879. In 1880 he became examiner of outports; three years later he was made Assistant Surveyor. He was then appointed Surveyor. In 1911 he became Collector of Customs. He was also Emigration Agent, and a Director of the Kingston Sailors Home. He died on board ship while travelling from New York to Jamaica on the 16th July.
Rev. Father Maurice Prendergast, S.J., was born at Swampscott, Mass. on the 30th of March, 1868. He was educated at Boston College and at Woodstock College, Maryland. He entered the Society of Jesus in 1887. He taught for many years at Forham University. He was ordained priest in 1902 and spent two years priest in 1902 and spent two years in missionary work in Maryland, came to Jamaica in 1907 and was stationed in St. Ann. He died on November 5th from a cold which, with his usual forgetfulness of self, he neglected.
Arthur FitzMorris Strachan was born at Up-Park Camp, Jamaica, in 1872. He was chiefly educated at York Castle School. He entered the Public Service of Jamaica, in the Island Medical Service, in 1891, and later joined the Constabulary Force; in which he rose to be first class Inspector in 1913. He acted as Deputy Inspector-General in 1914, and 1916 he was promoted to the Office. In 1917 he was appointed to act as Inspector General. He served in the Jamaica Militia from 1896 to 1899 and retired with the rank of captain. He died of influenza in Kingston, on the 12th of November.
Simeon Cornelius Thompson was born at Balcarres in Portland on the 3rd of May, 1866. He was educated at the Mico Training College, passing out with honours in 1887. His school life as a teacher was spent in elementary schools in Porus and at the Ludford School, Old Harbour, to which he was appointed in 1900. He visited England in 1908, and in 1912 was one of the delegates appointed from Jamaica to the International Congress at Tuskegee. He died on the 11th of October.
George William Thomson, son of the late Rev. Adam Thomson of Montego Bay, graduated at the Bellvue Hospital, taking M.D. degree of New York. He became District Medical Officer of Montego Bay in 1910. He died of influenza on the 16th October.
Rev. George Turner was born at Sweeds Hill, Shropshire, England, in January, 1858. He was educated at Cliffe College, Derbyshire, and at Harley College, London. He came as Baptist Missionary to Jamaica in 1881 and for a time in 1884 worked on the Isthmus of Panama, but as his health could not stand that climate he returned to Jamaica in 1885 and became pastor of churches in St. Ann and Clarendon where he laboured until his death. He erected many chapels and mission houses in Upper Clarendon. He was for fifteen years a member of the Parochial Board of Clarendon, and was instrumental in causing the construction of a number of parochial roads. He was Chairman, of the Jamaica Baptist Union in 1916, in which year he was also made a Justice of the Peace for Clarendon. He was drowned on the 11th of April, 1918, with his son, while crossing the Rio Minho in flood.
William Watson was a native of Scotland. He came to Jamaica over thirty-five years ago and entered the service of Messrs. L. D. Baker & Co. which afterwards became the Boston Fruit Company, and then the United Fruit Company. He rose to be Superintendent of Agriculture and General Manager of the Company. In 1909, he dissociated himself from the Company and started as a planter. For a short time he was a member of the Legislative Council for the parish of Portland, a member of the Parochial Board and a Justice of the Peace. He died at Burlington, in Portland, on the 18th of May.
David Brandon, who was born in 1845, was educated at Merchiston Castle, Edinburgh, and Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. In 1866 he was called to the bar at the Middle-Temple. He first practised in Jamaica; in 1867 he migrated to British Guiana, but about 1887 he returned to Jamaica. He retired in 1900. He was for some years a member of the Mayor and Council of Kingston, and a trustee of Wolmer's schools. He was a justice of the peace for St. Andrew and St. Mary. He died in Lower St. Andrew on the 20th of August.
Rev. Edward Clarke, who was born at Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, England, on the 12th Dec., 1831, came in 1852 to assist his brother Henry, then headmaster of Rusea's school, Lucea, whom he succeeded after ten years. He was appointed headmaster of Manning's School, where he remained till 1882. In 1870 he was ordained deacon, and became curate in charge of Savanna-la-Mar church, when he was made a priest. He was from 1874 to 1882 in charge of St. Paul's and Negril. After thirty years of teaching, he resigned the headmastership of Manning's; in 1866 owing to a breakdown in health, he spent some time in England, which he did not, however, re-visit till 1889. In 1896 he again had to seek rest, and he finally retired. He died on the 14th of March and was buried in St. George's churchyard, Mile Gully. He was a simple-minded, earnest, religious man of evangelical principles.
Jacob S. Corinaldi, who was born in 1843, was educated in England where he was thoroughly grounded in the classics. In early life he was a merchant in Falmouth, but his later years were spent in Montego Bay. Of literary tastes he contributed to the local press and did his best to spread a love of literature in his neighbourhood. He was connected with the St. James .Benefit Building Society and the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows. His courtly manners and kindly disposition made for him many friends. He died at Montego Bay on the 29th of November.
Samuel Hart was born in 1844 in Montego Bay. After receiving a commercial training in his native town he started in business at Copse in Hanover, and later removed to Falmouth. He ultimately returned; to Montego Bay where he started what was to form a very successful dry goods business, being also interested in shipping and the fruit trade. He died on the 13th of February. He was for 26 years a member and chairman of the Parochial Board of St. James, and ever worked for the welfare of the town and of the parish. He had resigned the chairmanship shortly before his death. He was of the Jewish race.
Roger Swire Haughton, who was born in Ballard's Valley in St. Mary on the 15th of March, 1846, was educated at the Jamaica Free School, Walton in St. Ann (later removed to Hope, and now the Jamaica College). After working in the Colonial Bank, he engaged in commercial life in St. Thomas. He was for some years stipendiary magistrate for St. Thomas. He then became connected with the firm of Wray & Nephew in Kingston. In 1891, he was appointed managing commissioner of the recently created Kingston General Commissioners, which office he held till 1912, when he retired. He was a Justice of the Peace for Kingston, St. Andrew, and St. Thomas and a prominent mason. He died on the 23rd of January.
William Thomas Linton, who was born in Barbados in 1859, after teaching there and in Demerara Trinidad and Grenada, came to Jamaica in 1894 and was principal teacher of various elementary schools. After the Earthquake in 1907 he opened the Continuation School in Kingston, which was very successful. He was a member of the executive of the Jamaica Union of Teachers. He died on the 23rd of April.
William Darley Neish, who was a Licentiate of the Royal College of Physicians, Edinburgh; entered the Medical Service of Jamaica in 1888, and became medical officer of the public hospital, Spanish Town, and later superintendent of the Lepers' Home, which post he held till the outbreak of war, when he volunteered for active service and went to England in charge of the first Jamaica Contingent. After seeing active service he was invalided. He died at Southsea, England, on the 12th of April. He was a Justice of the Peace for St. Catherine. He played a prominent part in the combating of malaria.
Venerable Archdeacon Ferrar Hughes Sharpe, who was born in 1838 in Montego Bay, was educated at the Bishop's College, and ordained deacon in 1861 and priest in 1863. After serving as curate at Savanna-la-Mar, Black River and Old Harbour, he, in 1866 became rector of Retreat in St. Mary, where he remained for 21 years, during which time he was instrumental in building the churches at Boscobel, Labyrinth and Gayle. In 1887 he became rector of Montego Bay, which owing to increasing years he relinquished in 1897, and returned to his residence, Windsor, in St. Mary, where, having ministered during his declining years at Labyrinth, he died on the 28th of October.
Major Robert Stralter Turton, R.A.M.C.; only son of General R. S. Turton was born in 1865. He entered the Jamaica medical service in 1894, and was for many years district medical officer for the Stony Hill district of St. Andrew and surgeon to the Reformatory, and medical attendant to Shortwood Training College. On the outbreak of war, he joined the Royal Army Medical Corps at Up-Park Camp, and many of the recruits for the British West Indies Regiment passed through his hands. In the autumn of 1919 he left with a detachment of soldiers for Belize, was taken ill, and died on the 15th December at Quirriqui in Guatemala. He was a M.R.C.S., Eng.; L.R.C.P., London, and D.P.G.H., Cambridge.
Ernest Verley, the son of Louis Verley, who was born in 1862, graduated at London University and studied engineering. On his return to Jamaica, he devoted most of his time to pen-keeping, but he was best known as a horse-breeder and in connection with the turf. He was Vice-Chairman of the Jamaica Jockey Club. He died at Halfway Tree on the 29th of September.
Alfred Lawrence Walcott, after receiving his training at the Old Government Training College at Spanish Town, first taught at schools in Westmoreland and St. Ann, and then in 1883 came to Kingston to take charge of West Branch school, where he remained till his death on December 17th, placing it in the front rank of the elementary schools of the colony. He served as President of the Jamaica Union of Teachers.
Arthur Augustus Helyar Webster Wedderburn joined the Jamaica constabulary in 1875. He was stationed at various times in Kingston, Clarendon, Trelawny, St. Ann, St. Elizabeth, and finally Kingston, where after a while he was appointed Deputy Inspector-General of Police. He retired to England in 1908, and died at Brighton on the 11th of April.
Samuel Louis Williamson, who was born at St. Ann's Bay in 1860 was educated at Wolmer's School. He at first served on the staff of the "Gleaner," but soon joined a brother in Kingston in a grocery and provision business, which he developed successfully. He died in New York on October 30th.
The Rev. John Yair for many years Baptist Minister in Jamaica, died in England on the 15th December, 1919. His last charge was at Lucea, and after his ministry there he went to England in the hope of getting help, for his Jamaica work. With the need of men for munition work during the war, however, he felt it was his duty to join in that, which he did, rendering valuable services on Sunday to churches that were without ministers. In particular he did greatly appreciated work at Watville Road Church, Birmingham. This congregation was just about to engage him permanently for service among them, when he was taken with the disease that proved fatal. For many months he lay in great pain, slowly wasting away, but in great peace and hope, confident in God's will. The news of his death was received with poignant regret in Jamaica, especially at Lucea where he laboured with such marked success.
Joseph Emanuel Fletcher, first-class clerk in the Post Office Department, died, in Kingston on the 5th of January 1920. It was on the 1st of March, 1894, that he entered the Public Service and for a series of years he was connected with the Post Office. He was Postmaster for Kingston. He was .subsequently transferred to the Money Order Branch.
Robert Russel, the well known planter, died in Portland on the 11th January, 1920. Born 72 years ago he was the eldest son of the David Russel of St. Andrew and Fifeshire, Scotland. He was a Justice of the Peace for Portland.
James Philip Haughton James, who died at Paradise at Sav-la-Mar on the 22nd January, 1920, was born in Jamaica in 1845. He was for several years connected with the Jamaica Constabulary Force, but subsequently went in to planting.
Michael Sheffield Grace, head of the well-known firm of Grace Ltd., died in lower St. Andrew on the 23rd January, 1920. Mr. Grace was born in Wellington, New Zealand, on the 27th of May, 1884, and was therefore just a few months out of his 36th year. He was the son of surgeon General the Hon. Count Grace, M.D., C.M.G., member of the New Zealand Parliament during thirty-seven years. He was educated at Bedford School and travelled several times round the world, making prolonged stays in various countries. He served at the outbreak of war in the Metropolitan Special Constabulary and the Motor Transport, but having been pronounced physically unfit for foreign service returned to Jamaica to assist in training the Jamaica Reserve Regiment. He resided then at Potosi Estate in St. Thomas, and was a captain of B Company Jamaica Reserve Regiment and a Justice of the Peace for the parish of St. Thomas.
When the firm of Wessels Bros. was taken over and re-organized as Grace Ltd., Mr. M. S. Grace came over from St. Thomas as the head of the firm and took up residence in St. Andrew. At a subsequent period when a vacancy occurred in the Legislative Council for St. Thomas, Mr. Grace contested the seat with Mr. J. H. Phillipps of Morant Bay but was unsuccessful.
The deceased married a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Brown who, along with two children-a son and a daughter-survives him.
Dr. Henry Lewis Clare, formerly Surgeon General and Medical Officer of Health of Trinidad, died at Bournemouth, England, on the 24th January, 1920. Dr. Clare was an Irishman and was born in 1858. He was educated at Rathmines School and Trinity College, Dublin, where he obtained the following degrees:-B.A., (1879); M.B., and B.Ch., (1880); M.D., (1897); D.P.H. In April, 1881 he was appointed Junior Resident Medical Officer of the Public Hospital in Kingston, and the following year he accepted the post of District Medical Officer of the Dry River District and hospital in Clarendon. In 1883 he was transferred to the Vere District; in 1888 to Chapelton and in 1892 to Spanish Town. He was also Surgeon to the St. Catherine District Prison and to the Middlesex and Surrey County Gaol. In 1896 he was transferred to Kingston as District Medical Officer of Health and was also a member of the Central Board of Health. It was in 1907 that he was appointed by the Secretary of State for the Colonies as Surgeon General of Trinidad, which position he held until he retired on his pension.
Maxwell Hall, M.A., J.P., F.R.C.S., and F.R. Met. Society, died at Montego Bay on the 20th of February, 1920. The deceased gentleman lived a retired life for many years and by his death the colony has lost the services of a useful scientist.
David Aurelius Corinaldi died at Montego Bay on Sunday the 22nd February, 1920, and his death came as a shock to the political section of the community. It was known that on account of advanced years and failing health the veteran politician had retired from the political arena, but no one had any expectation that the end was so near. The story of the life of Mr. Corinaldi is a story which shows how one's ambitions might be attained if one only aims high. Mr.. Corinaldi was born at Montego Bay on the 26th of March, 1834 and was the son of the late Jacob P. Corinaldi. He was educated at the High School in that town by the Rev. Thomas Davis, and at an early age he showed an aptitude for the watch-making trade. But after the toil of the day as a talented watch-maker and jeweller, he burnt the midnight oil, and he frequently passed the whole night reading, yet was fresh at work next day. He had a thirst for learning and it was this thirst that stood him in good stead in subsequent years. He was a brilliant conversationalist and could speak more than one language. Many years ago Mr. Corinaldi started the "New Century," a weekly newspaper which he conducted in Montego Bay, and as a journalist he was certainly in the front rank of his profession. But it was as a legislator that he shone most brilliantly. Year after year, (until 1919) his stately figure was seen in the Legislative Council. For 23 years he had worthily represented the parish of Noble St. James in the House.
John Vassal Calder, the well-known planter, died at Stirling, Malvern, St. Elizabeth, on Sunday the 21st March, 1920. Born in the parish of St. Elizabeth, he was the son of the late John and Georgiana Calder, and at an early age he went in for planting. He was the owner of a couple of grazing pens in the island, but for a series of years his activities were centred at Worthy Park, one of the finest sugar estates in the island; but on account of advanced years he retired from active participation in business about two years ago.
Mr. Calder was at one time the representative of St. Catherine in the Legislative Council. On the reconstitution of the Legislative Council, subsequently, he was appointed a nominated member, and afterwards, a Privy Councillor, served in these capacities for several years. He was a Justice of the Peace for the parishes of St. Elizabeth and St. Catherine. For a number of years he was Chairman of the St. Elizabeth Parochial Board. He was one of the founders of the Jamaica Jockey Club Ltd., and held the honoured post of chairman from the inception of the company to the time of his death. Mr. Calder bred some of the finest race horses in this country.
Herbert Wedderlie Edgar, who died in St. Andrew on the 1st of April, 1920, was the youngest son of the late Sir James Edgar, K.C.M.G. of Toronto, Canada. He was a Commercial Agent and was connected with the firm of the Canadian Agencies in this city.
Charles Lucien Vendryes, who died in Kingston on the 6th of April, 1920, was one of the oldest solicitors practising in the island. He was born on the 25th of March, 1850, and was the son of the late Henry Vendryes. He was a member of one the oldest French families in Jamaica. He was for some time in his early life engaged in business in Kingston and gave this up to enter the legal profession. He became a solicitor of the Supreme Court of Jamaica in 1888 and was engaged in the practice of his profession until a few months before his death. He married a daughter of the late Mr. Louis Peter Branday, and is survived by a widow and seven children, the eldest son being Mr. C. H. Vendryes, of Messrs. Grosett and Vendryes, Solicitors, of Port Antonio.
C. W. Chapman, who for nearly 30 years had served in the Public Service of Jamaica, died at his residence in St. Andrew on Sunday the 25th April, 1920 at the age of 79 years. Mr. Chapman, after serving on the staff of the Colonial Bank in Kingston, was on the 8th of September, 1876, appointed to the Government Service. On the 1st April, 1904, he was appointed Chief Clerk and Accountant in the Treasury, which post he occupied until he retired on a well-earned pension on the 23rd March, 1909. A sister of the deceased married the late Archbishop Nuttall.
Henry Shirley Bunbury, at the good old age of 77 years, died at Mandeville on the 24th April, 1920. His name was known to nearly every newspaper reader, he having been one of the most ready and prolific writers to the Press in Jamaica of later years. He was born at Waterford, Ireland, in 1843, and was the son of Captain T. H. Bunbury and Mrs. Bunbury, daughter, of Major-General Kettlewell, R.A. He was educated at Magdalen College School, King's School, Ely and King's College, London. He entered the English Civil Service in 1863 and served in the Chief Inspector's Department (Stamp and Taxes, Somerset House, London). He travelled extensively, visiting Russia, Sweden and Denmark, Holland, Italy, etc. and lived for some time in Canada, the United States and Cuba. Some years ago he came to Jamaica and settled here.
George William Franklin, retired merchant, died in England on the 26th of May, 1920, aged 68 years. He came to Jamaica many years ago and was connected with the firm of Messrs. G. W. Young & Co. for quite a long time. The deceased was a prominent figure in the dry goods line and on the business of Messrs. Young & Co. being sold out he returned to England where he settled down.
Mrs. Fleurette Myers, the widow of our late and much esteemed citizen, Mr. Fred. L. Myers, J.P.. of Kingston, died on Saturday night the 26th June, 1920, at her residence, "Devon," Moneague, St. Ann, where she had been residing. She died in the bosom of her family, with all her children and grandchildren and other relatives around her, and leaves three sons, namely, the Hon. Horace Victor Myers, M.B.E., Dr. Florizel Myers, of New York (who is now on a visit to the island along with his wife) and Mr. Alfred deC. Myers, solicitor of Kingston.
Mrs. Fleurette Myers was a daughter of the late Mr. Aaron deCordova of Kingston, and was a sister of Mrs. J. L. Ashenheim. She was greatly devoted to her husband and after his death, she never rallied from her bereavement. The deceased lady was a member of the most respected and cultured Jewish families in the island, connected with the commercial, social and political life of the country.
SEARCH THIS SITE
Plan of this website
Help - Frequently Asked Questions
Jamaica Almanacs Slave-owners, Civil & Military officers, Magistrates etc.
Items in the Samples Directory
Items in the Members Directory
Transcriptions from Registers and Wills (Church of England, Dissenters, Civil Registration)
Jamaican Roman Catholic Church Registers - transcriptions
Jamaican Methodist Baptisms - transcriptions
Jewish births marriages deaths - transcriptions
Slaves and slavery in Jamaica
Photographs, maps, prints, etc.