Jamaican Family Search Genealogy Research Library
Generation No. 1
1. George1 Ruggles
Child of George Ruggles is:
+ 2 i. ?2 Ruggles.
Generation No. 2
2. ?2 Ruggles (George1) She married ? Lewis.
Children of ? Ruggles and ? Lewis are:
+ 3 i. Elizabeth Vassal3 Lewis, born Abt. 1768; died April 1803.
4 ii. Mary Anne Lewis.
Notes for Mary Anne Lewis:
WILL OF MARY ANNE LEWIS
In the name of God amen I Mary Anne Lewis of the parish of St. Elizabeth in the County of Cornwall and island afore said Spinster being of sound mind and memory do make this my last Will in Manner and form following that is After the death of my Grandfather George Ruggles I give and bequeath unto my sister Susanna Ruggles Linton my two slaves named Thomas Eve Lucy and Hanniler [?] with their future offspring & increase for her natural life and at her decease the survivors of such of those Negroes with their increase are to be divided share and share alike between such lawfull children as my said sister Susanna Ruggles Linton shall have then at her decease. Item I give and bequeath unto my sister Susanna Ruggles Linton my desk & chest of cedar [?] with my bed and furniture. Item I give and bequeath unto my nephew Benjamin Hinckell Heath one negro. Item I give unto my niece Susanna Lynch Heath one heifer. Item I give unto my nephew Thomas Ezekiel Linton one heifer. It is my wish that my Executors do have a ring made of my hair the value of two Guineas and present unto Mr. James Davy like token of Remembrance. It is my wish that a slave of mine named William Seaton should be free after the death of my Grand father and unto him I give one heifer. All my Property real or personal of whatsoever description or wherever I give and bequeath my sister Susanna Ruggles Linton except one gold watch which I give unto my nephew Thomas Ezekiel Linton and lastly I nominate and appoint Thomas Lynch Linton & James Davy of the Parish of St. Elizabeth County of Cornwall and island aforesaid Executors to this my last Will made this 2 day Oct 1808 [?].
[Signed] Mary Anne Lewis
Signed sealed published and declared by the Testator as and for her last Will and testament who has subscribed her name in the presence of us who have hereunto set and subscribed our names in the presence of each other as witnesses.
M. Bruce Junr.
1. James Davy was a Justice of the Peace for St. Elizabeth in 1801, and owner of the property "Wear" in 1814.
2. Harrison Townshend was the owner of the property "Burnt Ground" in 1823. ]
+ 5 iii. Susanna Ruggles Lewis, born Abt. 1775.
Generation No. 3
3. Elizabeth Vassal3 Lewis (?2 Ruggles, George1) was born Abt. 1768, and died April 1803. She married Michael Heath July 02, 1793 in St. Elizabeth1. He was born Abt. 1768, and died April 1799.
More About Elizabeth Vassal Lewis:
Burial: April 02, 1803, Mr. Ruggles' burial ground, St.Elizabeth2
Residence: 1793, St. Elizabeth
More About Michael Heath:
Burial: April 20, 1799, Mr. Ruggles' burial ground, St.Elizabeth3
Residence: 1793, Westmoreland
More About Michael Heath and Elizabeth Lewis:
Marriage: July 02, 1793, St. Elizabeth4
Status of bride/groom: Spinster
Children of Elizabeth Lewis and Michael Heath are:
+ 6 i. Revd. Benjamin Hinckell4 Heath, born November 14, 1795.
7 ii. Elizabeth Ann Heath, born December 07, 1797; died January 1798.
More About Elizabeth Ann Heath:
Baptism: January 10, 1798, St. Elizabeth5
Burial: January 13, 1798, Mr. Ruggles' burial ground, St. Elizabeth6
8 iii. Michael Lewis Heath, born April 30, 1799.
More About Michael Lewis Heath:
Baptism: May 17, 1799, St. Elizabeth7
Fact: September 01, 1800, "Privately received" (from Anglican Baptismal record)
9 iv. Susannah Lynch Heath, born Abt. 1802. She married Robert Harper June 05, 1827 in Hanover8; born Abt. 1802.
More About Susannah Lynch Heath:
Residence: 1827, Hanover
More About Robert Harper:
Occupation: Lieutenant in H.M. 77th Regiment of Foot
More About Robert Harper and Susannah Heath:
Marriage: June 05, 1827, Hanover8
Status of bride/groom: Spinster
5. Susanna Ruggles3 Lewis (?2 Ruggles, George1) was born Abt. 1775. She married Thomas Lynch Linton Bef. 1808. He was born Abt. 1775, and died Bef. 1815.
Notes for Susanna Ruggles Lewis:
Among the listings in the Almanacs for St. Elizabeth are the following for Susanna R. Linton:
1818 22 slaves
1820 17 slaves
1821, Cambridge, 17 slaves
Notes for Thomas Lynch Linton:
The 1815 Almanac listed Thomas Lynch Linton deceased as (former) proprietor of Cambridge, St. Elizabeth with 20 slaves and 20 stock. In the 1818 Almanac the numbers were 39 and 3.
More About Thomas Linton and Susanna Lewis:
Marriage: Bef. 1808
Children of Susanna Lewis and Thomas Linton are:
10 i. Thomas Ezekiel4 Linton, born Bef. October 1808.
11 ii. Elizabeth Grace Linton, born April 21, 1809.
More About Elizabeth Grace Linton:
Baptism: September 18, 1810, Trelawny9
Generation No. 4
6. Revd. Benjamin Hinckell4 Heath (Elizabeth Vassal3 Lewis, ?2 Ruggles, George1) was born November 14, 179510. He married Eliza Dunn Buckner November 10, 1826 in Hanover11. She was born Abt. 1801.
More About Revd. Benjamin Hinckell Heath:
Baptism: January 17, 1796, St. Elizabeth12
Baptism (2): March 11, 1797, "Privately received" (from Anglican Baptismal record)
Occupation: 1826, Rector
Ordination: Bef. 1822, Candidate for ordination, Anglican
Residence: 1825, Spring Mount
Residence (2): 1826, Hanover
More About Eliza Dunn Buckner:
Residence: 1826, Hanover
More About Benjamin Heath and Eliza Buckner:
Marriage: November 10, 1826, Hanover13
Status of bride/groom: Spinster
Child of Benjamin Heath and Eliza Buckner is:
12 i. William5 Heath, born August 22, 1827; died March 1840.
More About William Heath:
Age: 1840, 13 years (Burial Register)
Baptism: January 31, 1828, St. James14
Burial: March 30, 1840, Savannalamar, Westmoreland, new burial ground15
Fact: 1840, Of Mannings School
Residence: 1828, Spring Mount
1. B0037 St. Elizabeth Parish Register I & II, 1707-1825, I, p. 302.
2. B0037 St. Elizabeth Parish Register I & II, 1707-1825, I, p. 342.
3. B0037 St. Elizabeth Parish Register I & II, 1707-1825, I, p. 340.
4. B0037 St. Elizabeth Parish Register I & II, 1707-1825, I, p. 302.
5. B0037 St. Elizabeth Parish Register I & II, 1707-1825, I, p. 82.
6. B0037 St. Elizabeth Parish Register I & II, 1707-1825, I, p. 340.
7. B0037 St. Elizabeth Parish Register I & II, 1707-1825, I, p. 84.
8. B0016 Jamaica Parish Register Marriage I & II, 1826-1839, I, p. 329 #9.
9. B0006 Trelawny Parish Register I, 1771-1839, p. 76.
10. B037 St. Elizabeth Baptism Marriage Burial I & II 1707-1825, I. p. 74.
11. B0016 Jamaica Parish Register Marriage I & II, 1826-1839, I, p. 329.
12. B0037 St. Elizabeth Parish Register I & II, 1707-1825, I, p. 74.
13. B0016 Jamaica Parish Register Marriage I & II, 1826-1839, I, p. 329.
14. B0004 Jamaica Parish Register Baptisms I & II, 1826-1834, I, p. 285 #3.
15. B0024 Jamaica Parish Register Burials I & II, 1826-1844, II, p. 302.
SEARCH THIS SITE
Plan of this website
Help - Frequently Asked Questions
Jamaica Almanacs Slave-owners, Civil & Military officers, Magistrates etc.
Items in the Samples Directory
Items in the Members Directory
Transcriptions from Registers and Wills (Church of England, Dissenters, Civil Registration)
Jamaican Roman Catholic Church Registers - transcriptions
Jamaican Methodist Baptisms - transcriptions
Jewish births marriages deaths - transcriptions
Slaves and slavery in Jamaica
Photographs, maps, prints, etc.